Betta Fish Forum banner

Latex gloves..safe or not?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jupiter 
#1 ·
Ok later today is water change time and on my way home from work I can stop at the dollar store and pick up a pair of latex gloves or whatnot.

I read on here somewhere that if u have open wounds on ur hands u can wear gloves to do water changes.
But I wanna know if their really safe for the fish?
I have this hang nail thing going on or my skin is cracked because their dry I dunno, but I thought about gloves.

Don't latex gloves have powder on them and or lotion?

What do u guys recommend?

#2 ·
I'd use non powdered nitrile gloves if you were going to use em...latex generally has a powder and it can be hard to find true non powdered latex gloves...nitrile usually doesn't have powder...I know this because I'm highly allergic to latex and the powder inside of the gloves.

As for reusing them, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to..like the ones that go up to the elbows. Just be sure that none of the water comes in contact with the inside of your glove and goes back into the aquarium..and rinse them thoroughly each time after and before use.

#3 ·
Thankx
are non powdered nitrile gloves easy to find, like in dollar store's or something?

#4 ·
Not sure about dollar stores, but my local neighborhood Walmart carries them. :) The ones that come to the elbows are about 3-5 bucks.

#6 ·
Yeah, sometimes I use the non-powedered gloves when doing WCs and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.