Betta Fish Forum banner

Baby Betta Journey

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
So, I got a baby betta yesterday. I know, I know not smart, but they were going to "get rid" of 'him' if someone didn't buy him that day, and it was around 3:30-4 on a Sunday, so doing the sensible thing I bought 'him'. Okay, perhaps not the most sensible, but whatever. I've been looking around for information on baby bettas and I still haven't had a good journey kind of thread to read, which I've really wanted to, so I'm making my own:)

So here is what I have 'him' in:
2.5g
heater at 82F
no filter-yet
a few live plants-need more
water

This is what I've gathered about baby bettas, correct me if I'm wrong:
Tank Size: 2.5-3 is good for beginning, it is easier to do PWCs on.
Temperature: 80-85F is good for growth and the creation of a good immune system
Water: Keep it clean, do frequent PWCs, but not too much at a time it stresses them out.
Food: Live and frozen are always better, small bites are good once they get around 1" or so long, but live or frozen is healthier and should be given over pellets.

Um, I think that's about it. Their also harder to keep and extremely small!

Anything else to add?

Here are some pictures; I'll add as the days go by and I learn new things!
Tank:

Richard:

I also want to say that I think my betta is a boy because it was flaring at it's reflection, but I'm not sure about that! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, time will tell whether the gender is male or female. Looks to be between 3 and 5 months, but who knows anymore with store fish??

Anyways, good job on the fishy. Looks like you have everything handled. I would recommend buying -or having on hand- aquarium salt and epsom salt as a just in case. And you are right, they are harder to care for!! But well worth it in the end.

#4 ·
Yeah, 'he' looks a little older but I'm still not sure, I'm just waiting until some fins grow in or they don't. That's how I'm currently going to go. I will make sure to get some Epsom salt, I don't think that I have any right now. Thanks!

I know I had something like this with my baby, she's a grown little female now. I wish you all the luck with your baby, so far it looks like you did a lot of the stuff I did only I started her in a smaller hospital tank with no gravel and only plants so she could get a daily water change and medication as needed.
I guess that I didn't see that! Hm, I'll go look for that thread. I'm glad to be doing this correctly. I would be extremely sad if 'he' dies. I'm glad to see that your baby betta survived, I've read too many things where the betta ends up dying. I'm hoping not to have that happen because its hard to read those journals that just stop because of a death. I'll make sure to keep up on water changes, thank you for your input:)

#3 ·
I know I had something like this with my baby, she's a grown little female now. I wish you all the luck with your baby, so far it looks like you did a lot of the stuff I did only I started her in a smaller hospital tank with no gravel and only plants so she could get a daily water change and medication as needed.

#5 ·
Day 3:
So within the past 24 hours I have found out that the little dude loves blood worms and brine shrimp. He seems to love the frozen stuff and tears it apart quickly! He likes the plants that I put in there, but I still think that some work needs to be done.

Just an update on everything today:
Fish size: 1" fro head to end of tail, around 3/4" body size.
Food fed: Frozen Brine Shrimp and Frozen Blood Worms
Temp: 82F
He's been very active, swimming around the tank and having a fun time swimming around the rocks!

Pictures from today:

#7 ·
Thanks! I finally got out the big camera and actually took pictures of 'him'. I think that it's much easier with him with the big camera, plus you can actually see 'him' with the use of the big camera! I was shocked that I could actually get pictures of 'him', he usually is swimming around, barely staying still for a second. However with treating him with a part of a blood worm whenever 'he' was still for a minute for a picture may have worked... or not, who knows:)

#9 ·
It could be, but you would be surprised xD Sometimes they decide to confuse you :p I will say looks like my female baby betta (5 months old, May 10 spawn)

Attachments

#10 ·
Wow my little betta looks a lot like your little girl! I don't want to decide what it is yet, because I know once I name it it'll stick and if I pick a masculine name when it's a girl I'll feel bad. Thanks though for the help, it really does look like a girl, but I'll wait:)

#13 ·
Oh wow jsgossamer! That's insane! I guess he was a late bloomer (I'd go all Mulan on you all right now, but I won't). So an update on today:
Fish size: 1" fro head to end of tail, around 3/4" body size still.
Food fed: Frozen Brine Shrimp, 'he' seems to like the shrimp more than the worms. I think that I'll need to get some more of them!
Activity: 'He' likes hiding in the plants and peeking out when 'he' senses something outside of the tank! It's really cute actually.

So no pictures today, 'he' wasn't feeling it or something. 'He' wasn't staying put very long for me to take a good picture, though 'he' is coloring in more. 'He' has some orange and blue on 'his' bottom fin, there's an orange stripe near the body and the rest is a faint blue. I'm hoping to get a good picture of it tomorrow! *crosses fingers*

That's it for this update today!

#17 ·
Because they are from a pet store? :p I have NO idea! Mine looks like... Well... a mud puddle brown :lol: She was bred by me though. (Red and Red/Blue made that?)

#19 ·
Maybe the poor care from such a young age affects the way they turn out
Like when you see bettas that are sick/dying typically they're not bright and vibrant

PS thanks sena:D

#21 ·
I find blue to be the most common and most dominant. I find many baby enttas will pick up on the blues more. Taking that from red CT and blue/red VT :lol: still have blue.

#22 ·
My betta isn't all blue, but 'he' does have a lot of blue on him. The tail is mostly orange with streaks of blue following the lines in it, 'his' ventral tail is turning more orangish redish as the days go by. I really hope that 'he' turns out to be blue and orange (it's my FAVORITE color combination on bettas!). I cannot wait until 'he' shows 'his' colors more!

Update for today:
Fish size: 1 1/8" from head to end of tail, around 7/8" body size. He Grew!!!
Food fed: Frozen Blood Worms and a crunched up Hiakari Pellet. 'He's' a little piggie! He still begging for more even with all of that!
Activity: Today 'he' is investigating more of the front of the tank, away from the plants. 'He' is becoming much more aware of the world outside of his tank and as a result more bold in his swimming. He really likes 'looking' outside of the tank.

I do have some pictures today!

(With flash):

I had some more pictures but they won't load right now. Perhaps in a bit I'll post the other ones!

#23 ·
This is a stupid question, but oh well, I have a baby betta too. She suffered from ammonia poisoning. Her cup was at 8.0ppm. Anywho. She has been hospitalized for a week! and i'm buying her a new home this weekend. I have been feeding her crushed pellets and she loves them. What frozen foods do you recommend? special brands? also, how do you feed them and how much? Sorry for so many questions. I have never done frozen foods for the bettas.

#24 ·
Oh wow! That's horrible! I'm so glad that you got her out of those conditions, 8.0ppm is just awful.

From what I've learned from my little betta is that 'he' likes frozen blood worms more than frozen brine shrimp. Personally I like the blood worms more for feeding as they have more nutritional value. At my big aquarium store near-ish my house they only have their kind of frozen food; however, I do believe that they do sell both frozen brine shrimp and blood worms at PetCo and PetSmart (or at least around me they do). I really haven't done much research behind the different brands, but I do not believe that they would much different from each other but I may just be naive thinking that. When you have your frozen food it'll either be in one big sheet or in little cubes. You're either going to 1) cut off a TINY part of the sheet, I mean it's going to be small! or 2) pop out a cube from the container, cut it down into fourths or so, put 3 of the 4 in a baggie and stick all that in the freezer. For thawing them out I put mine in a small cup filled with COLD water, hot water will start to cook the frozen food which is not good. Once the food is thawed (the worms or shrimp will be visible and not some clump) grab a few of either of them with tweezers or a q-tip or something like that and stick them in the tank. I feed about 2-3 medium sized worms (cut in half) or 6-7 medium brine shrimp per feeding. It may be a little too much but I only feed twice a day, and only frozen once a day. Hopefully that helps!

Ask any more questions, it'll help lots of people with any questions that they may have about baby bettas in the future!

#26 ·
No problem! Glad I could help:)

#27 ·
I love the pictures so far! :D
I almost felt myself getting a baby, and I think that with due time, I will try and get one. The one that caught my eye was ALL blue, had no stress stripes visible to me. But the color and the fins were gorgeous. I would've guessed easily a crowntail, but alas, I am not prepared for a baby xD

#28 ·
:lol: babies ARE hard to care for! Sometimes easier then others, but some of us on here seem to get the bad luck with the toughest little fights for lives.

#29 ·
I know, it's always so sad when things don't end up well :/

I'm hoping all my boys last to the point where they can all upgrade once I move out. And this time I'm really hoping for it, although Pudge and Squirt haven't been looking so happy :/

I wish you luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.