Betta Fish Forum banner

Algae problems?

882 views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  rpadgett37 
#1 ·
So a little while ago I got some green algae growing in my filter and on the rocks in my filter (it's the Fluval chi filter). Last week, I cleaned my tank and changed one of the filter pad things and then I went away for the week. When I got home today, I saw that there is way more algae, now brown, all over my filter and rocks, way more than the green stuff.
I have been giving my fish fin rot medication, but my brother forgot to do it for me this week while I've been away, in case it makes any difference.
Anyways, what should I do? How do I take care of it?

#29 ·
UV sterilizers are good ~ yet someone I know has a nice one in all his tanks and all he grows is every form of algae lol~ I have one for my 225 but more like for insurance my expensive discus don't get parasitic counts raised by being with angels and others .

I don't like encouraging buying a fish knowing you'll not keep it... Especially due to size issues . Who's to guarantee it'll have any proper home after already getting large ? And I assume you mean a common pleco maybe .. That's like the fat 10inch Bala shark that was returned to petco and up for free adoption last week . Got too big for the owner. How can you be sure there's someone like me who happened to have a huge tank and adopts it out of mercy ..??

Sent from Petguide.com App

#30 · (Edited)
+1

I would personally consider a UV filter as a measure of last resort after all else has failed, unless there is a particular reason for needing one. With Diatoms, though, I believe it would be a complete waste of money. The only things I am aware of that would have any impact on them, and be appropriate for your situation, are snails and shrimp, a silicate remover (like SC Phosguard) and / or time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.