Betta Fish Forum banner

Water Dechlorination Container

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  sperham40836 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I would like to know what plastic materials I should be on the look out for to use as a Water Dechlorination Container (aproximatly 1 gallon with a handle) Like are 1 gallon milk jugs safe? and is there any particular Plastic Recycling number that I should be looking for/avoding.

I like to use API Stress Coat® as a water conditioner then leave the water to age overnight.

Thank you in advance.

#3 ·
i've always used a 1 gallon pitcher. and i know some people on here use plastic buckets. to be honest, i've never heard of having to stay away from certain plastics...now that you bring that up, i'm curious to see if there actually are certain kinds that should be avoided...

#5 ·
I've never seen the point in aging water.. chlorine and chloramine don't evaporate out. I just fill my bucket.. put the prime in there and pour it in the tank. If I haven't cupped my fish for the water change (which I usually do) I will put a heater in the bucket and let it reach the temp I want it to be.

#8 ·
I use the standard 2.5 gallon water dispensers that you purchase filled with distilled water.

I have 3 loaded with water at any given time. I cut a little square otu of the top of each one in order to aid in filling.

The main reason I like this containers, is because the water dispenser device is EXTREMELY HANDY. when refilling my tank after a water change, I ussually just let it go to a slow trickle, back into the aquarium. It allows the temperature to have a gradual transition, and gives a nice amount of aeration, and the fish all seem to love getting a "shower" to bathe in, with all the little bubbles that come from it.

My trick is to just add my dechlorinator (TetraSafe), 18 drips to the container, then fill it with tap water. I do this with all 3 containers, and let them sit for about 3 or 4 days.

I don't really know why I do this, but in my head I feel that the chlorine will get a better chance to completely dissolve away. So far the fish enjoy it, and my tank chemistry is AWESOME.

#9 ·
I bought a few gallon jugs of purified drinking water on sale.. used that water back when I had him in a bowl but since then I've kept the jugs (since I didn't have to rinse anything like milk out of them) and put in some dechlorinator, add water, and let sit for at least an hour before adding to the tank.. I usually try to do partial changes often and complete changes where I take him out in a cup and get out all the water, wipe down the glass, and change around the decor and clean off plants/gravel about every 3 months. He's lived over 3 years like this and never seems stressed by it. If the water temp isn't exact I usually float him in the holding cup in the tank to get him adapted instead of it being a shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.