Betta Fish Forum banner

Got my first betta yesterday, does he look content in this tank?

2K views 59 replies 9 participants last post by  Waldobubbles3 
#1 ·
Im planning on getting a bigger one in a couple of week but for now this is all I can do. Hes really friendly, I saved him from walmart and that horrible little cup they put him in.

Will he be find in this tank for now (I know its small)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there! I'm new too. ^^ Have you named him yet?

Getting down to business, if this is a temporary home, he should do fine. Make sure you get a tank that's at least 3 gallons (but a 5-gal is the recommended size for a betta to truly be happy). Does the tank have a filter? And even if it does have a filter, is it cycled? If not, you should be doing 50% water changes every day (even if it is a temporary tank). A heater is a must (can't tell if you have one from the picture you have) and you should get a thermometer to keep your eye on the temp.

#5 ·
That's really up to you. How soon can you get those items? If you can get them asap, he will definitely be able to hang on until then. Even if you can't get them for a a week or two, he'll at least be living in conditions better (even if only slightly) than he would be at pet co. As long as you stay on top of water changes (make sure you condition your tap water!) he should be okay until you do get those items. Also, I noticed your tank has lights in it. Make sure to turn those off at during the evening so it doesn't heat up the water too much or stress out your betta. Also, if you don't have any live plants, there really isn't a need for aquarium lights. I can't say the blue lighting does much to help you see your betta anyway.

#8 ·
IMO, 2.5 is fine. Usually, the bigger the better, but he should do okay.

I also believe that the heater, filter, and water quality is more important than the size of the tank for most fish, not just bettas (within reason). Would you rather live in a studio apartment that is clean, or a 4 bedroom house that is filthy, moldy, and infested with pests?

#9 ·
2.5 is the absolute minimum. I got my 5.5 gallon for about $20-$25 at petland discounts actually. The one you saw is probably a kit which comes with lights, a heater, and all that jazz. Even if it does come with its own heater, I'd buy another one anyway. I've heard that the equipment that comes with kits aren't very reliable. Make sure the temperature is between 78F and 82F (the 80's being the most optimal temp for bettas) If you're going for the 2.5 gallon, you can go without a filter, but you'd need to change the water much more frequently. I've heard people say that filters in a 2.5 will create currents too strong for your betta but water quality is also very important.

#12 ·
In my opinion you should just a buy a heater that you can use in your big tank to. at petco Aqueon makes submersible adjustable heaters. You will want one that is adjustable since the preset automatic ones are not reliable and may not get your tank warm enough. For your tank I would buy either 25watt (if you are planning to not get a bigger tank) or a 50watt (if you are planning to upgrade). I have a 50watt in one of my 2.5 gallons and it is fine. I have it set really low but at least now I have a heater that can accommodate a larger tank if I ever upgrade.

#17 ·
Move him into the new tank as soon as it is set up. Set up the tank with the heater. When the water in the new tank reaches 80F, put your fish into the cup he came in or a bag. Then float the cup/bag in the new tank. Every 30 mins or so, add a bit of the new tank water into the cup or bag. Repeat this for 2-3 hours. then add him to the tank.

No, he isn't suffocating. Bettas are top surfers (meaning that they prefer to swim at the top of the water)

#18 ·
If you decide to get a 2.5 gallon tank you can move him into the tank the same day you get it (make sure you clean all his ornaments, plants, gravel, and the tank of course). I'm not too sure about the suffocating part without a picture. If you feel that he is sick please post about it in the emergency section of the forums that way it can be addressed faster. Hope this helps!

#19 ·
Ok thanks and he seems happy imho. Hes super friendly and always come to the top of the tank when I come by or say his name, I hope I can find a tank kit that comes with a heater and filter. It bothers me how the pet store told me 1 gallon would be enough -_-

The good thing is my room where he is in is pretty hot (around 78 or above)

#20 ·
Just a heads up. No tanks really come with a heater so you will need to buy that separately. if you go to petco/petmarts I recommend the Aqueon Submersible heaters. You will want a heater that is adjustable and does not have an preset automatic temperature. While its okay that your room is hot, I am concerned about the temperature changes in the room since room temperature can fluctuate 10 degrees in a day.

pet stores will tell you all sorts of things and many people working there are uneducated. This is why any time you want to get a pet you must do EXTENSIVE research before you buy the pet.

#22 ·
a 25watt heater or a 50watt heater. make sure that it is adjustable (it'll have knob that you can use to adjust the temperature). Do not get one that is automatic or has a preset temperature. if you are going to petco/petsmart I recommend the Aqueon Brand submersible heater.

You will also need a thermometer. do not get the sticky ones that stick on to the front of the tank because those are not accurate. Get a glass one that either suction cups to the side or sits on the bottom

#23 ·
#24 ·
the reason why you want an adjustable heater is because some treatments for illnesses require the temperature to be raised to 82-84. 78 is too cold to treat certain illnesses. You always want to be prepared for anything. You also live in a fairly mild climate. Up here in NYC we go from over 100 degreesF in the summer to be low 0 during the winter. My adjustable heater is always set at around 86 during the colder months and the water only gets to 80 degrees. and during the summer it is set at 78 and gets to 80-82F.

#26 ·
It's the summer time and if your room is hot / warm and keeps the water at the temps you state you can hold off on the heater.

You made a great choice on that 5 gallon as it will give you a lot more flexibility and the new tank looks far better visually than the original imo.

#28 ·
I will disagree with what scootshoot said about the heater. Heaters also keep the water at a stable temperature. And since room temperature changes so much it will stress the fish out (especially during the summer with AC and fans and such). I am glad you bought a heater. I would def add it to your tank and your heater will shut off when the water reaches the right temperature.

You are going to want to set your tank with the decor, heater, filter and add the water to it. Wait until the heater gets the water up to 80 degrees F. Once this happens you will want to put the betta in the cup he came in (if you don't have the cup then you can use a bag) and float it in the new tank. Every 15-30 minutes or so add some of the new tank water into the bag. Repeat this for 2-3 hours. Then you can tip the cup and add your fish into the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.