Betta Fish Forum banner

Algae problems?

883 views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  rpadgett37 
#1 ·
So a little while ago I got some green algae growing in my filter and on the rocks in my filter (it's the Fluval chi filter). Last week, I cleaned my tank and changed one of the filter pad things and then I went away for the week. When I got home today, I saw that there is way more algae, now brown, all over my filter and rocks, way more than the green stuff.
I have been giving my fish fin rot medication, but my brother forgot to do it for me this week while I've been away, in case it makes any difference.
Anyways, what should I do? How do I take care of it?

#2 ·
How big is the tank? Is the tank near direct sunlight? Is the algae in the filter or on it(like on the outside plastic. If it is on the lip of the spillway it may not be algae, but a buildup of good bacteria. (if this is the case leave the bacteria alone, it is the Bio part of your three step filter.) If thew tank is small 1-3 gal. than You have two ways to fight the algae. 1st do more water changes. 2nd (and I can't believe I'm saying this.) you could add a snail or two. Last question. You said you are treating your boy for fin rot? Are you doing this in the same tank?

#5 ·
Lots of questions! Ok...
Bettaphototramp: it's a 5 gallon, not in direct sunlight. It is both on the outside plastic and the spillway. And yes, I am treating him in the same tank. He has no tank mates.
Rpadgett37: it has been running for about two months. I guess the muck would be considered a sludge, but I'm not really sure. I tested my water, 0 ammonia and nitrite, I don't have a nitrate test.
Tankman12: it's brown-green slime, so I'm not really sure....

#7 ·
Pathetic led lights. But they are underneath the filter, so they aren't getting where the stuff is.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Every week, plus or minus a day. About 40%. I also have lots of plants.

#12 ·
It's a hard one, I hate algae. The only way I found that worked for me, was to scrap trying to keep live plants, go back to silk and not bother with having any lights on. I have no algae now. And ironically I actually tried live plants in the first place because I wanted to try and eradicate a very small algae issue I was having. All it did was make it worse for myself. For plants to actually be effective at preventing unsightly algae, they really need to be thriving. If they are not I would scrap them.

#17 ·
Okay. I am not an expert on it but it is a way to make water have no metals or even nutrients. You lfs should have it, they usually sell it. It will give the algae nothing to feed on, and also shorten your light period. That should fix your problem!
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
Ok. I will elaborate a little further.

There are two issues here, the brown algae and the filter.

If this is the first time the brown has shown up (can also be green), then it is likely diatoms. They will consume any silicates in the water and dissipate on their own. No amount of lighting adjustment or water changes will slow or stop their growth. They are not harmful to the fish and can be cleaned manually if it gets too far out of control.

The second issue is the filter. Brown sludge / slime in the filter is usually an indicator that heterotropic bacteria are taking hold. Under normal circumstance, they are beneficial as they break down organics in the tank; however, as they out produce BB in the filter by a very large margin, they can quickly overtake the biomedia, gradually replacing the BB. It is important to keep the filter case cleaned of the sludge. Biomedia should be swished in tank water, then brushed gently to remove any slime from them.

#21 · (Edited)
You HAVE to remineralize RO/DI water to use it in a freshwater aquarium and even still, I don't see how this would fix the algae issues. Minerals and other things in the water typically aren't an issue when there is algae. It's other factors. I think this is simply diatoms, as rpadgett37 said.

#24 · (Edited)
I would recommend that you buy a UV Sterilizer for your tank. It will kill any type of algae that grows in your tank. IF you cant afford one I would recommend you get a pleco they are algae eating fish and neither choice will hurt your betta. FYI plecos do grow fast so choice the smallest one they have at the pet store if you go that route. If you get the UV sterilizer I recommend a cheap one call the green killing machine they are sold at any type of pet store and come in all sizes. I had to buy one when My tank water turned green, it fixed the problem in about 7-10 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.