Betta Fish Forum banner

aquarium salt

540 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  penguin 
#1 ·
My betta has now been in his new 4 gal tank for five days. He seems happy, and very active. But not sure if his being active means he is stressed? I did not add aquarium salt but heard it is good. Is it necessary? I want to make sure he is really happy and healthy. He is my first betta.

#2 ·
If he is active then he probably isn't stressed. Bettas who are stress will most likely hide. A fish that is actively swimming and exploring his tank is a healthy fish. I would not add AQ salt. You should only add AQ in the case of a health issue, like fin rot or a open wound.

#3 ·
He has plenty of places to hide in the new tank right? Active is almost always a good thing, so no AQ salt needed. AQ salt is good for killing external bacteria and preventing infections, Epsom salt is good for getting poisons out of a bettas system. Never use a medicine ending in -"fix". I don't think he is sick or needs medicine but if his activity worries you you can add some stress coat or Indian almond leaf to calm him down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.