Betta Fish Forum banner

Why wont they stay alive?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  MistersMom 
#1 ·
Every time i get a pleco or a snail it dies! i had pleco once for a good long time and one day he was dead, i was so mad! i prefer snails because i dont have all the space in the world for the Pleco's but my goodness! what is up with them dying? i have had like 6 of each! i have a really bad algae problem in my tanks, neon green algae and brown algae, and i scrub and scrub and turn my lights off and nothing helps.... so any one know why they could be dying?

#5 ·
uhm, water is normal betta water? 80 degrees i guess... i havent had one in a long time (snail pleco) i just want to know why they keep passing. can AQ salt kill them? and i dont know what kind if snails they are....

#6 · (Edited)
How big is the tank? Is it filtered? What exactly is "normal betta water"? Do you mean you use those bottled "betta water" things?

I don't remember exactly but i think AQ salt doesn't sit well with scaleless fish as well as snails.

#8 ·
Pleco's don't "eat algae", they eat a specific algae. The have to be fed wafers.
I have Rams snails, pond snails, an apple snail, mystery snails (trapdoor less) and MTS. My tanks have 1tsp for 1g or 1 TBSP for 5g (according to if I mix up 15g of water at a time, then I use the 1 TBSP). All snails are fine....anyone need MTS...I'm overrun!!!

Are you sure you have algae? There are several "algae" that are not algae at all, it is bacteria/fungus. Each algae eater eats specific type of algae.

#9 ·
yes i had algae wafers too and dropped them in there. and the algae is brown and green, i dont what it is D: wonna send me some MTS lol. jk , its a death wish lol.and nooo not betta water i mean its fine the perameters are fine, i dont have any testing things atm but i take it to class ans test it, is soft water. not slaty but i do add salt. and even then it soft... i don't know....

#13 ·
ohhh..... okay. what about the snails? and honestly every time i get a pleco its one i feelbad for... that may be a main contributer, that i bring it home half sick...

#14 ·
Snails, too. They produce A LOT of ammonia, more than Bettas! Did you add AG Salt in? Aquarium salt is not supposed to be in the tank more than 10 days as the Betta's labyrinth would get injured.

#17 ·
Yeah. I would highly recommend using either aquarium or epsom salt ONLY when treating a scaled fish, like a betta, for a disease like fin rot and ONLY for a short period of time and ONLY in a separate tank from any scaleless fish and snails. Other than that, its not needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.