Betta Fish Forum banner

Darn the fin rot...

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  AngelicScars 
#1 ·
I got home from work today and what do you know, Zeus has fin rot. He has a decent size hole in a crown point on his caudal fin, two pin holes in his dorsal fin and a hole in his right pectoral fin. Water parameters are fine.

Salt baths and quarantine.... Sorry buddy, you do not get to be in your pretty new tank for a while. :-( Should I put the quarantine next to his home or move it away?

I can only attribute it to all the rummaging around I did in there this weekend, that or I did not clean the moss ball well enough. I am quarantining it too and sqeezing it like a sponge until no color comes out of it. It seems to have some dirt deep in it.

I picked up a fresh bottle of JFE just in case salt baths and daily water changes of the quarantine tank don't cut it. Ares is still looking good so hopefully it was just the moss ball.

#2 ·
Aww I'm sorry. When I have my boys in quarantine, I keep them away from their tanks. Because I feel bad that they may miss it. Time for you to do what you always tell us to. Salt baths for a week and if it doesn't get better I'd use the JFC you picked up. Good luck with his treatment.

#3 ·
He's already had his first salt bath, and I picked up JFE not JFC. JFE is the stronger of the two, but I got it in powder form so I can adjust the dose.

I may add a very light dose to his quarantine tank. I've been instructed by the house organizer that I am to keep the quarantine tank next to his, no where else. I suppose i'll put a sheet of paper up to keep him from seeing his home.

#7 ·
I have given 3 salt baths now, will give another 2 or 3 when I get home. This morning the holes in the dorsal fin were half the size, the rest were unchanged. I will see what the deal is when I get home form work in a couple hours.

I did put a light does of JFE in the quarantine. 1/4 of what is called for. I have never had rot show up overnight on 3 fins at once before.

I think I got all the crud out of the moss ball now! I can submerge and squeeze it and the water stays clear :)

#10 ·
Good Luck! Hopefully Zeus will pull through.
That just happened with Gurgle. (My VT male). He was fine when i left for camping, then when the weekend was over, part of his caudal fin was shredded. I was like "UGH!" So today i got some Bettafix. Its like a miracle worker :) It helped so much with Squirts Fin rot in just one week of treatment! :D

#16 ·
He is gorgeous neenjar! I'm glad you caught it early. I'm amazed at how fast salt baths can help them heal... Good luck treating it!

#17 ·
I'm anxious to get home today and check on him. He has been a trooper but I can tell he misses his home. He has gotten quite used to having all that room to swim and loves it. He still swims alot in the quarantine, but in small circles (1.5 gallon cube) rather than back and forth across the tank front. He had a bubble nest made this morning when I fed him that I will be destroying this evening with a 100% water change.

#18 ·
There is good regrowth today, every place but the darn crown point on his caudal fin. The holes in the dorsal are barely noticeable, The dorsal crown points are a bit longer as with all but that one hole on the caudal.

I wish the tip would either fall off or begin to heal like the rest, it is quite aggravating. I would never do it, But I'm tempted to cut it off so it can just get on with the healing process. My subconscious keeps going, "snip it, snip it" my conscious goes.. "yea right... slow your roll, we won't be having any thing like that". lol

#19 ·
He's one you usually get from Aquabid :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.