Betta Fish Forum banner

re-doing tank

407 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  vaisforlovers 
#1 ·
My question is about changing the setup I started with. A little history - I inherited a male betta 2 weeks ago. Fortunately, I have had one, so I felt comfortable til now. I have him in a 2 gal tank - from a flower vase. I did some research about new setups and decided to go with just gravel with intention of adding plants. Since I have found this site I have changed my mind and I think I want to add the filter and pump that I had used on my previous betta. (He loved getting under the filter) My question is do I do a partial water change, clean the gravel and then add the pump and filter? Or do I need any of these?
I have read the sticky on betta care (why is my speller telling me I am not spelling betta right??!:lol:) and now I want to put Snooks in the 10 gal tank I have and decorate it like a few pictures that are on this site. My plan is to breed.
Any help is appreciated.
Joanne

#2 ·
ok i dont know if a fully understood what your asking...

for a 2g or anything around that size you dont need a filter at all, its merely up to you and your preference but it WONT change water changing habits IE. with a 2g its 100% twice a week. a heater is always recommended if your not living in hot climats.

a 10g is a nice tank for a betta and you always have the option to divide for another male or female. water changing for a 10g uncycled is around the 50% once a week and 100% every 3 weeks or so. for a cycled 10g its around the 30% per week.

you should really hold off breeding for another while. its not easy, and you will have to plan accomodation for anything up to 300 fry.... even some of the pro's on here dont breed because its not all fun and games... ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.