Betta Fish Forum banner

Good quality pellet food!?

678 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Myates 
#1 ·
My last little man died of constipation.
I believe the food I was feeding him caused the problem, once I identified the problem I went to the store and asked them for a good quality food, they gave me something so small I feed it to my neons (different tank)

What is a good quality (small ish) pellet food? I will order it online thats not a problem, my tank is cycling again so I'll be getting a new fish next week.

thanks guys!!

#2 ·
Sorry you lost your fish. When you say cycling, are you providing an ammonia source or just letting the tank run?
As for the food more often than not New Life Spectrum & Omega One are highly recommended on here. There are a few others, you just have to read the indgredients list of the food you are considering. I feed the NLS Betta Pellets, Omega One Flakes & Hikari Frozen foods.

#3 ·
New Life Spectrum and Golden Pearl are the best. You can find the NLS at Petco, but the GP is bought online. If you can't get those 2 for ever reason, Omega One is the next best. :) I'm sorry for your loss, tho. :/

Remember to give your fish a variety of foods so they get plenty of different nutrients they need. Like, treats 2-3 times a week, maybe high quality flakes every other day, etc. etc.

Stay AWAY from; Aqueon, Top Fin, Tetra, Tetra PLUS, Wardleys, Hikari, and HB Betta Bites.

#7 ·
New Life Spectrum and Golden Pearl are the best. You can find the NLS at Petco, but the GP is bought online. If you can't get those 2 for ever reason, Omega One is the next best. :) I'm sorry for your loss, tho. :/

Remember to give your fish a variety of foods so they get plenty of different nutrients they need. Like, treats 2-3 times a week, maybe high quality flakes every other day, etc. etc.

Stay AWAY from; Aqueon, Top Fin, Tetra, Tetra PLUS, Wardleys, Hikari, and HB Betta Bites.
Do you mean ALL Hikari foods or just the pellets/flakes? Please clarify. I use their frozen foods & have not seen on their labeling any reason not to so am I missing something?

#4 ·
I'm putting biological filtration boost in there and I filled it with water from my other tank to get things started. Its been running 9 days now.

I will look at those foods, thank you! I prefer pellets to flakes (my other little man refused flakes anyway) because its easier to clean up if they dont get eaten!!

:)

#6 ·
I'm putting biological filtration boost in there and I filled it with water from my other tank to get things started. Its been running 9 days now.
The BB needs ammonia so if you are not providing an ammonia source your tank is not cycling regardless of using seeded materials.

I will look at those foods, thank you! I prefer pellets to flakes (my other little man refused flakes anyway) because its easier to clean up if they dont get eaten!!

:)
. . .

#5 ·
When you say treats what do you mean? He used to have dried blood worm but he was never pleased to be fed them! and like i said he refused to eat flakes.

When he got sick I started feeding him frozen Daphnia so I still have loads of that.
Could you suggest a good flaked food? - for the other tank if nothing else!

Thank you!

#10 ·
Hikari frozen is fine.. it's what I feed all of mine. The nutrition was a bit better than the common San Francisco Bay brand.

The water won't really do too much.. bacteria sticks on things such as decorations/rocks/filter media.. one of those in the tank would be a better seeder, and quicker too.

I'm sorry you lost your fish.. but constipation tends not to kill.. if it did, many people would be dying from it daily :) Possibly over feeding or under feeding could be the cause.. so once you find the right food let us know and we can help recommend how much to feed.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.