Betta Fish Forum banner

I bought another Betta.

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  dr2b 
#1 ·
So I did it. I tried to talk myself out of it. I tried to wait it out and reasoned that I needed a job first (which I still do, haha)...

I bought another Betta. :-D

Anyway, so EPIC STORYTIME:

I woke up this morning and convinced myself that I'd buy JUST the bowl until I could upgrade to a 5 gallon tank for both of my boys. Given that I do not have a car, I biked a total of 7 miles to my local fish store and back home in sweltering heat, armed with only a backpack, ten bucks and a water bottle. I was only going to get a large bowl, I reasoned.

I finally arrived at the pet store, literally dripping with sweat. I hadn't ridden my bike for a while, and I was a little winded with the trip! I parked my bike inside the store and started to browse.

I happened by the Bettas and noticed that they had JUST gotten in new stock!! What luck! So I started to browse... and browse some more. And eventually bought this tiny, orange male with transparent fins. I had a hard time deciding between him and a big, red male with a white face and black eyes. I settled with the orange one, simply because orange is a rock-awesome color and I figured a bright-colored fish would compliment Tian-Tian's dark looks nicely.

I paid for my purchases, fish, 1 gallon container (until I could upgrade) and a grassy plant similar to Tian-Tian's.

I then faced a problem I hadn't thought of: How was I going to get this poor fish home on a bike??? :-?

I wound up putting the baggie, that he was in, into the container, in a plastic bag and IN MY BACKPACK. I prayed that he wouldn't cook inside my dark, hot bag!

I raced home, praying and trying not to jostle him much as I dodged wild drivers on the road, barking dogs and steep downgrades in the road.... not to mention all of the potholes!

I finally arrived home and quickly unpacked my hot bag... and found my little guy, calm, collected and ALIVE.

I started to float him in Tian-Tian's tank water, since Tian's was at room temperature and I felt my new boy needed to cool off a bit after such a hairy ride! Of course, Tian-Tian was very peeved that I had acquired another baby and the two had a brief flaring contest before I finally put my new Betta into his mini tank. (In size comparison, Tian-Tian is HUGE)

Since he's been in his tank, he's been calm and has even eaten a little.

May I present to you: Taco, the delta-tail male Betta!

Webcameras make for awful pictures.
Whatever. :roll:

He has a cave! :) He just swam into it and poked his head out... oh, I wish I had a better camera!!!

Where you can see an outline of green where his tail should be... there's no green there. That's just reflected off of his stones. :-D His tail is literally transparent. His lower fin even has a random, transparent splotch.

So now I have Tian-Tian and Taco, Betta-team duo (Tian's jealous. :lol:). I can't wait to see Taco color up a bit!

See less See more
#5 ·
He's So Cute! ( Thats what happened when i got cosmo! Squirt was pouty and 50 times the size! :)

#8 ·
Awesome story,glad he wasnt too upset with the ride home. Pretty fish.

#9 ·
Congrats on getting him home like that, lol. He is gorgeous! I love orange. I'm deff getting an orange betta one day. I hate reading peoples stories about new bettas, lol I want my Merlin. haha.
I'm so happy for you.

#10 ·
Thanks, everyone! :) I'm glad Taco is being well-received!

LOOK! He brightened up within a matter of hours!! :shock:

(the purple "sparkles" around him are actually bubbles, lol. Makes him look all epic and whatnot, though.:lol:)

So Tian-Tian and I have this thing where he would chase my finger around the tank. I tried it with Taco and he took to the game right away! He's a shy but curious fish and highly intelligent. However, Tian-Tian saw what I was doing and he totally had a cow over it. What a jealous fish!! o_O

Taco is still in awe of all of his new space. :D It's not much but I think he's happy with it for now.

Also, "Tacofish" is now Taco's nickname. Tian-Tian has always been "puppyfish".

Tacotacotacotacotacotacotacotacotacotaco............ XD wee! I'm a happy camper at the moment. Dunno if anyone can tell or not.

#15 ·
Taco is adorable!

#21 ·
He's very pretty!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.