Betta Fish Forum banner

Pitbulls. hated for no reason.

39K views 681 replies 92 participants last post by  Artemis 
#1 ·
Well. I was recently at the North shore Animal league. ( I wanted to look around, since my dog was recently put down and she was recused from there.) and I was going around, and you know places like that. They have recused pitbulls in a majority of the kennels. So I went around, fell in love with a Shepherd/pitbull mix. A lady behind me, who was also looking at him. Groaned and said " Ugh. Pitbulls. Monsters are what they are.." And walked away. My heart shattered into a million pieces. How DARE she say something about such a sweet dog.

Now, a lot of people get this misconception about how 'Pitbulls are beast, that are dangerous!' When honeslty, they have not a clue about how great pets they can be. Yes, their breed is a powerful one, and with a careless owner they can be aggressive. It's not the dog's fault! It's the stupidity of a person that causes the behavior a lot of people see on TV ( Aspca and such) Pit bull fighting is a big part of the problem. People see this dogs that were TRAINED to do such a horrible thing such as fighting one another. It's not the dog's decision. Yet they're banded in some states? It's extremely sad. They deserve so much more respect. Heck, my own mother is terrified of the breed, and when my brother brought home a pitbull puppy, she had him give her away. Ugh.

So I guess what I'm trying to get to here, is that Pit bulls are a great breed and they need more love then the hatred they're receiving. ( This is also a rant I guess. That woman just got me off..)

See less See more
Reactions: Jayy
#2 ·
I can't believe people are like this either. We have two pitbull mixes, one has the sting build of a pit, the other has the slenderness of the rhodesion ridgeback (they are sisters). They are so sweeand want to play with children. They are also lap dogs, yeah, 60-70 pound dogs!

The only problem is that one is dog aggressive because my sister didn't socialize her, not the dog's fault though. She gets along with some dogs and doesn't with others.

The breed is definitely misunderstood and portrayed as killers by the media.

#3 ·
Sadly, they are responsible for a fair number of dog attacks. What people don't seem to understand, though, is that "safe" breeds like labs are responsible for a far higher percentage.

I love pits. I think they look magnificent and I hear they are vey loyal, but can sometimes have troubles with guarding instincts (not sharing their toys etc). I don't think the breed should be banned, but rather that people who can't care for them should be banned from owning them.

#4 ·
hehe I watch north shore animal league stuff on animal planet :3
Pit bulls are not human aggressive at all. They do have natural dog aggression, but this is why you have to socialize them. They are banned where I live. My town is INSANE about them.. Some lady I heard about in my town had her genetically proven purebred STAFFIE put down because it LOOKED like a pitbull. It's so ridiculous.
German shepherds bite way more people than pits I believe. I've also heard of two cases of huskies killing young babies in Canada. But no one is giving "loyal, majestic German shepherds" or "cute fluffy huskies" a bad rep. Don't even get me started on chihuahuas biting people.

#306 ·
Pit bulls are not human aggressive at all. They do have natural dog aggression, but this is why you have to socialize them.
I disagree. Pitbulls and all dogs have to be socialized in order to get along or be comfortable around or with other dogs, people, places and new objects. Think of dog on dog socialization as a language class. The more your dog socializes with other dogs in an appropriate way, the less likely they will be dog aggressive in the future because they have more tools to communicate. I do agree that fighters are bred for more dog related aggression traits, but not all pittes will be dog aggressive.

One thing I will say is that pitties and other bully breeds (rotties, bull terriers, am staffs, etc) all have problems controlling arousal levels as they age. This is why people use them for fighting. High arousal equals less self control and an increased likely hood of tipping (or going from playing to fighting) or aggression.

Side Note:
I am a positive reinforcement dog trainer/dog daycare manager who has been working with dogs for over 5 years. I have also attended multiple dog behavior seminars and teach intermediate obedience classes. My daycare background keeps me in the know with dogs and dog behavior. I do not agree with Dominance theory as it is outdated and disproven. I am also a OSCT, or Operation Socialization Certified Trainer. (www.operationsocialization.com)

#5 · (Edited)
When my daughter was small, I watched two large pit bulls smash down a fence across the street from us to attack the little dachshund behind it. Before I could finish dialling animal control, they'd broken the fence and torn the poor little dog to pieces (I will never forget its screams ><). When they ran off, one still had a large chunk of dachshund in its mouth.

My child and our own little dakkie were behind the same kind of fence, exactly opposite this house. But for sheer luck, that could've been my child torn apart, playing in her own yard.

So yeah - after that, I've never been able to see pit bulls as "nice pets". It isn't just the media bs'ing about them being killers. It's what they were bred to do. Even in the hands of decent dog owners they are sometimes unexpectedly vicious. In the hands of an idiot, they can be lethal.

As for not being human-aggressive - a young boy who lived close to us in another house was mauled so badly by a pit bull while playing in a park that he required over 700 stitches. Like all aggressive breeds, they are more than capable of attacking a human.

#6 ·
That's really horrible. Like your poor child must be scarred for life. I know I would have been.

I myself have been -harshly- bitten by 3 different dachshunds in my life. I'm scared of dachshunds. Not even kidding.

It really is all just what people experience. :/

#7 · (Edited)
I'm a proud pitbull mommy! We rescued the runt of a purebred pair because the woman couldn't sell her and was going to send her to the pound. Sadie is now 6 months old and the sweetest, most gentle dog I've ever had (I am most assuredly a cat person) and gets along with my cats, my kid and nieces and nephews. I don't think she could be mean if she tried. Our neighbor thought she was so cute when she was a month old, cooed over her.. right up until I said she was a pit. The neighbor stepped away like the poor puppy had the plague. Made me sooooo mad!

I've always been scared of Dalmatians.. My brother's rotty, Puppy, was killed by one, and the dalmatian stood guarding his body for hours.. it was so sickening. We had to get animal control to tranq the dalmatian.

#8 ·
I don't know if there's anything more impressive to me than seeing a pitbull in obedience trials at a dog show. But I'm afraid all too often these dogs are not owned by responsible owners who train them to be submissive to humans and trained to obey. They're just owned by stupid people who want a strong dog with a bad reputation because they know it's controversial and they know it's a way to look tough.

Is that the dog's fault? Of course not. But I don't know a way to control the people who own dogs, so sadly, I believe we have to control the dogs available for people to own. It is with regret that I would cast my vote in favor of some breed specific legislation, but I would absolutely do so unless there was a better idea on the ballot.

#9 ·
I'm a proud Pitbull Mom, and really don't have time or want to even acknowledge the existence of those who bash my breed of choice...

But to those who are supportive and see the truth behind such a misunderstood breed? Thank You. From the bottom of my heart. I have been actively involved in promoting proper Pitbull ownership for 9 years, fighting BSL and educating those who are smart enough to listen (and not closed minded). I've owned my Pitbull/Pointer mix for 9 years, and my Staffordshire for 8 years and they have been the most loyal dogs I have ever owned. I can't see me every owning any other breed, especially when there are so many needing proper homes with people who understand them. My 8 year old is dog aggressive, and I have never had any issues with her and other animals because I am responsible and I never put her in situations that set her up to fail. And what started the dog aggression? A Bull Mastiff attacked her one day while we were out for a walk, the Mastiff was loose and my dog was on leash. I personally would never blame a whole breed because of something I experienced with one dog. My dogs also live in a home with children, cats and small animals. No issues. Anyways, Pro Pitbull here :)

#10 ·
The only other option would be limiting the owners rather then the breeds, but I don't see that happen. Would open up a huge can of worms.

I had been taking Sadie to the flea market with me when it was nice, doing my best to socialize her, and it's a good chance to show others the breed can be gentle. But she just had knee surgery, so no trips for a while :(

Every dog should be trained though. Properly socialized, too. Big, little, all of them. Should be mandatory. Like leash laws.

#11 ·
I've never had a pit bull but they are adorable and have incredible jaw muscles. Like any dog they need to be trained properly, so many people don't put in the work or train the dog in the wrong way and their dogs develop issues.

#12 ·
Every dog should be trained though. Properly socialized, too. Big, little, all of them. Should be mandatory. Like leash laws.
Have you ever seen the owners of killer dogs on the news? "I can't believe my darling wuvvable Sweetums DID that! He was always SO gentle with the kids!"

You know... Until he ate one.

And that statement above makes a whole lot more sense to me than people denying the possibility that owning a dog breed created for the singular purpose of killing things dead MIGHT entail a risk.

Proper ownership laws. That is an awesome idea.

#17 ·
And that statement above makes a whole lot more sense to me than people denying the possibility that owning a dog breed created for the singular purpose of killing things dead MIGHT entail a risk.
See this is the very thing that keeps society in the dark ages. Pitbulls were bred to defend farms from predators and vermin, to sustain stock and crops. It's humans that used them for illegal and twisted gamblings against other animals. The temperament of a Pitbull (and I mean the breed, not a mix) is to be loyal and trusting to humans with no human aggression. Human aggression is not bred into them (unless mixed with a breed with that trait), but trained. You can make a Pitbull whatever you want it to be, their ability to constantly want to please their owners is their greatest and worst feature.

I can't say there was one person in my family that was accepting of my dog when I took her home at 6 wks... we changed that and now my mother has her own Pitbull mix.

Accroding to your statement though, the whole Terrier Group are killers. If you read the description, they were bred to kill things dead as well.

But yet you have various other breeds, known for human aggression like the Presa Canario which go unnamed. Chow Chows are another. Or possessive breeds like Poodles, Papillion, Lasa Apso, Old English Sheep Dogs, Chihuahua, Dachshunds, Schnauzers... but it's cute when they bite.

Give me a Pitbull, German Shep or Rottie any day over an ankle biter with a big dog attitude. I won't let me 3 yr old son go to his Aunts house with their Chihuahua, but he sleeps with my Pitbull every night.

#13 ·
Also, yes they attack people. But they were bred to fight DOGS and pitbulls are naturally very friendly towards people. They tend to need more work with other dogs.

I recommend watching the show "pitbulls and parolees" on animal planet. I love it! The lady has around 200 rescue pitbulls, and every single one she gets is just just a wiggly people loving dog, even ones that have been abandoned and abused. :)

#15 ·
I recommend watching the show "pitbulls and parolees" on animal planet. I love it! The lady has around 200 rescue pitbulls, and every single one she gets is just just a wiggly people loving dog, even ones that have been abandoned and abused. :)
I love that show! Actually, many of the dogs she gets are unadoptable. The ranch they have in New Mexico is the forever home for those dogs.

Any breed, any mutt can bite and become unadoptable. Breed bans are stupid.

I hope to adopt one or more senior pitties someday. Can't right now.

#14 ·
""When twenty human fatalities from PBT attacks were studied, several common denominators were observed... Eleven of the owners of these twenty dogs had criminal records and seven of these had criminal records for violence. Eleven of the dogs showed showed evidence of physical abuse." The Dog's Mind by Bruce Fogel DVM, MRCVS.

I really hate everyone who says that these dogs are vicious without knowing any facts besides the amount who have attacked humans. I work at a doggie daycare and boarding kennel and all of the pits I've met have been very human friendly dogs. I've been bitten by a Siberian husky, a Maltese, and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, but I've never had any problems with pit bulls.

I'm convinced that breed specific legislation is unnecessary and misguided. I think that certain people should be banned from having any pet, and "dangerous dogs" like pit bulls in particular. These people either abuse the dogs or train them to be human aggressive and those are the ones that end up attacking people. People with a history of animal abuse or certain crimes (drug dealers, violent crimes, etc) should not be allowed to have pets, especially a pet that could be dangerous like a dog.

#16 ·
I love how on the news the owner actually says "I have no idea why he'd do that... I mean... I have three kids, and he's really gentle with them, he's never bitten any of us - I have no idea what made him snap!" But really, I guess it's the owner's voice against the dog's silence. Understandabley, to please the public breed bans are in place - usually against the "lock jaws" types, such as the pitbull. BUT that makes no sense considering Great Danes and Mastiffs actually do the same thing. I work with dogs and I don't care the breed. I know the precautions, and I knows ways to get "unbit" if they latch on.

2 reasons dogs bite: aggression, and fear. Aggression is usually "this is my territory" or "I don't like you", and fear is "fight or flight" which most people who are attacked or witness an attack mistaken the signs of "I'm scared" for "I'm a mean and vicious dog."

Fear and aggression are from one thing: envrironment. Although there are a select few dogs BORN grumpy little poops, doesn't mean they couldn't have been given to a proper family who could deal with it, or been raised being handled around loud sounds, children, etc as a pup to "desensitize."

I personally have never been bit by BIG dogs :| I don't like chihuahuas, because I've been attacked more by them than any other breed. I'm workin' on that though :/ someone forced their little grumpy chihuahua into my hands because she wanted to prove that although on the floor he was a meanie, in hands he was a lover. Aaaand she was right x.x although I kept him far from my face LOL!!

Why don't we put down the bad owner instead >.>

Ohhhh right because OUR lives are more than "a dog's". :| That and the community would be right down p'o'd.

#18 ·
I hate possessive dogs. My mom has one :| it hates me. Then again it cannot hurt me it has so little teeth (dog: grrrr SNAP!! nomnomnom gum gum gum) xD :lol: Plus it's an ugly dog. >.>

Mastiffs were also farm dogs. Wolf Hounds, Collies, Blue Heelers, Chows too.... They're picking on the most common "fight dog" there is, which is the pitbull. I've seen sooo many pitbulls and they are so cute!!! Their goal, is to please their human. So, human says, pitbull does.

My dad's dog is a beagle basset. Bassets are thought of "cute and friendly" but they were bred for hunting purposes, and so were beagles. Actually, my dad's dog obeys me well enough I could make her attack someone - or she'll actuall defend me from people she feels "aren't right" to be around us lol.

#19 ·
Since the OP was eliciting opinions, and I'm sure she expected there to be a lot of different ones, and since nobody here seems to be yelling yet (please don't!), I'm going to add one more idea.

If a person wants to keep a pet tiger or other specified undomesticated animal in my state, they have to have a license and meet certain requirements as far as enclosures, safety devices, etc. showing they can keep it safely without it presenting a risk of harm to humans or property (such as livestock or pets). It isn't because we're picking on tigers. It's because biologists and wildlife folk tell us tigers are big, strong, and dangerous.

Pit bulls may be trainable to be non-dangerous to livestock and humans - heck, maybe tigers are too - but they are bred to be strong-jawed enough, well-muscled enough, and to have a "gaming" temperament such that they present a danger to livestock. Animal aggression in the breed is expected (if not tolerated) even in the show ring That kind of an animal needs to be treated like a tiger. So do Dogo Argentinos who were bred to bring down runaway slaves and have certainly killed their fair share of infants and adults.

I really would feel better about this if more pit bull owners were saying things like, "we have a real problem with our breed...let's find a way to handle it" instead of using the "they're so lovable...you're just prejudiced" approach. I have seen breeders tout the line (IDK where they got it, but apparently some authority on temperament) "highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death..." Really? Is that something you want to be advertising to people? Who exactly is the target demographic for THAT line? Responsible owners or tough guy wannabes?

If my community offers the vote to me, I'll support breed specific legislation because all dogs are not created equal.

#21 ·
Proper Pitbull owners share their experiences with proper dogs, they don't blame a whole breed because someone led dogs astray. There isn't a problem with this breed, there is a problem with humans.

There is a major flaw with BSL, it has never proven to make any change as far as statistics and such. Jezz, even Ohio is lifting their BSL ban lol I would support proper education over banning a breed. I mean we all know when you tell a society they can't have something, the responsible ones will follow the rules. Those are the people you don't have to worry about. Those are the people paying through their noses for insurance and tags and licences to own their pet they have had for years. Those are the people having to give up their dogs to be euthanized in shelters, kids losing the dog they grew up with because families can't afford million dollar insurance or are too fearful that authorities will force their way into their homes and take their dogs. These people live in fear, house pets are sent to gas chambers. And those who don't give two flying flutes about the law? Those are the ones that are problems, those are the ones training these dogs for bad, the ones not training their dogs period and the ones who shouldn't own any animal because they don't have a handle on their own lives or the education to respect and treat an animal properly. These people don't care about your BSL, take their dog... they'll just get another one because the dog is property to them, not a pet. They don't leash their dogs, they don't research them, they just don't care. Meanwhile BSL tears families apart and those responsible for bringing BSL are not fizzed one bit. I'll tell you one thing, BSL passes here and they'll take my dog over my cold dead body. She's my child just as much as my son and daughter. I swore to protect her, and I will.

I mean how would you feel if someone came to your home and made you hand over your pet because someone else doesn't like them? That's like banning fish from Thailand, and taking all your Bettas and flushing them while you have no say. Seems kinda cruel. Bettas are aggressive fish and people do fight them for sport... and they are one of the most abused fish in the world.

And chances are... those "breeder" are no better than the trash they are trying to sell their dogs to. To display your dogs in such a manner only brings in one kind of clientele. Those are the breeders with "low rider" Pitbulls registered by the American Back Yard Breeder Club (ADBA) that display them on their free cookie cutter websites. No pedigree with the AKC, just bred for muscle and color, not health or temperament. Not that I would buy a dog, but I certainly wouldn't get one from a shady breeder either lol Just by your post, red flags and bells when off haha

#20 ·
That's a good opinion :) I will say... it isn't really "pitbulls" it's just "dogs". Dogs derived from WOLVES. domesticated, and became man's friend and protector. Technically, no matter the breed (okay maybe except some of the....toys and teacups because they are smaller than my guineas :| ) they still have that instinct in them... The fight or flight, the hunt, and the protect. People are of a dog's PACK (sorry, but really, dogs are dogs not babies.) and when people forget that it's a "pack" more than "this dog is my baby and I spoil him and I love him and I tuck him in at night" kind of mind setting, they can forget that this animal, can be dangerous, or save their life. I don't say "don't love your dog" lol but remember it isn't a human :) instincts are different.

Which is the same for tigers. Some owners go "I love him like my baby, I tuck him in..." and so on, and forget it is still a wild animal. We have not domesticated tigers as well as dogs, they are still wild and need to be kept carefully - like Granberry mentioned with the permits, enclosures, inspections, etc.

#24 ·
Which is the same for tigers. Some owners go "I love him like my baby, I tuck him in..." and so on, and forget it is still a wild animal. We have not domesticated tigers as well as dogs, they are still wild and need to be kept carefully - like Granberry mentioned with the permits, enclosures, inspections, etc.
Wild animals need to be in sanctuaries or zoos. Period. End of story.

JMVHO :-?

#22 ·
Here, home breedersof pitbulls (you know, the ones who party all the time then have their dogs breed then sell the pups) sell their pups for 500-1500. :| THAT I can compare to the shady breeders. THAT is so stupidly priced for a "look at these "pure bred" dogs" dumb-person-breeder. Anyways, here, the shelter has the following dogs (or mixed breeds): German Shephards, Pitbulls, Collies, and Mastiffs. And it costs MAYBE 200-300 tops, to adopt a cutie who needs a home. :) I've seen more pitbulls in this shelter than any other breed. o.o

Wow. I like that:
"I mean how would you feel if someone came to your home and made you hand over your pet because someone else doesn't like them? That's like banning fish from Thailand, and taking all your Bettas and flushing them while you have no say. Seems kinda cruel. Bettas are aggressive fish and people do fight them for sport... and they are one of the most abused fish in the world." it's true though :-(

#23 ·
Problem with the tiger comparison: Dogs are domestic (the first domesticated animal, in fact) and tigers aren't. They coevolved with humans to work with and live with us.
Tigers in the wild view humans as prey.

#25 ·
Except dogs still have their instincts ;-) Gotta remember - even if you baby your dog, remember he/she is a dog. My mom did that with her ankle biter rat/cat/dog/thing. And my dad's dog too!! And who does my dad's dog listen to the best? me -.- because it's a dog. Not my child. lol! That and I exercise the beagle in her :3

#26 ·
Lol. I work at a doggie daycare and boarding kennel and I usually take care of the small dogs. They are definitely not as well mannered as the big dogs because a lot of their owners don't view them the same way they would a big dog. Some don't even know their own names!
My dog's a 17 pound cockapoo but we treat her like a dog rather than a human and therefore she's well behaved and not spoiled.

#27 · (Edited)
Pitluvs, I hear what you're saying, and I think you point out some valid considerations very well. I find especially persuasive the fact that Ohio lifted its BSL due to ineffectiveness.

But when you said, "I would support proper education over banning a breed", I just can't go with you there because I don't believe "proper education" works well enough for me to feel my kids are safe, my pets are safe, or my livestock is safe from dogs as I've described.

Is it fair? Nope. It isn't fair to good responsible owners. But until breed clubs or somebody can find a way to handle this problem either by generations of selective breeding to weed out traits that we as a community don't deem safe or better control of these awful breeders, then government legislation is the only remedy.

And BTW in my state we most certainly do have "FSL" , i.e., fish specific legislation. :) There are many types of fish that are illegal to sell, dump in ponds or lakes, etc. because we deem them dangerous to native livestock.

BTW, if I come off as abrasive, please forgive me. I am a retired lawyer, and I never have anything interesting to talk to people about any more because my kids quit listening to me when they went to college and my husband has never listened to me, so I'm just really enjoying this discussion. But I promise I've said my piece now, and I'll zip it.

#129 ·
I don't take you offensively at all, I mean I am kind of upset because it's people with this kinda of mentality that all Pitbulls are the same, interferes greatly with my life. I live in fear, everyday. Is tomorrow going to be the day that some wingnut on a power trip passes a law that will take my dog from my home? This clear cut solution effects everyone, even those who obey the law and raise great dogs. And as long as I'm breathing, I'll fight it. I mean it's like catching a leak with a bucket, just because you toss the water down the drain, doesn't mean you've fixed the leak. You just started all over again. Getting rid of the dogs doesn't solve anything, the problem humans are still there and they will move onto another breed (maybe something with human aggression, more of a threat then a terrier).

The sad thing is, positive breed groups ARE trying to educate people, but the only ones listening are the ones who are educated. Those who mistreat this breed don't give two flying flutes what these "Pitbull Hippies" have to say, they know better than us and they don't like being told what to do. You know how the human race is, there are people who don't like being told what they are doing is wrong. So yes, our breed groups are trying to fix a problem we didn't even start. Tell the government to let us hang animal abusers, that would help. Right now, you can get away with anything you want to do with an animal.

Another thing is.. my mothers neighbor poisoned my 3 yr old Rottweiler, Mason, in 2006 with antifreeze. He suffered in pain, scared for 3 days at the vet while we tried everything possible to save him. We ended up gathering around him, all holding onto him while the vet euthanized him, $3000 later. His ashes remain in a Rottweiler urn I bought for him, sitting in my mothers living room. We'll never be the same, my whole family weeps at the sight of a photo or the mention of his name. He was killed because my neighbor didn't like his breed, he felt threatened and didn't want Mason around when his grandkids were over. Not one time did that low life ever ask us if Mason was friendly, or if he was good around kids. Mason loved everyone, I truly believe he was a little gay honestly. But because he was black with copper markings, he was a monster that needed to be killed. What you suggest really hits me hard, because you may feel like you're protect your family and pets.. but I'm protecting mine as well. And someone who thinks the same way once harmed my family so deeply, we'll never recover from it :( If you'd like, here is a letter my then 16 year old sister wrote to Mason after he passed. This is what will happen to families if BSL is passed, it's what's happened already. I could never put that much pain and hurt on someone :(

#28 ·
hehe should see when I "baby" my dad's 60 pound beagle/basset :3 I literally flip her over and cradle her like a baby :lol: she doesn't even care.

Hey! Which reminds me. Why do people get rid of their dogs when the dog bites their kid? My dad's dog is SO gentle, GREAT with babies... but she is at her end with my 6 year old niece, who sits on her, pulls her tail, pulls her ears, smacks her, pulls her fur and skin, etc :| We warned my niece, that she'll nip her one day and we won't feel sorry. Kids need to learn dogs have boundaries too -.- But some people use the excuse of "it bit my baby!" stop babying the dog and dump it at some spca or shelter :-( without looking at the entire situation.

And Granberry, you're allowed to debate :p debating is good for ya!!! lol. Everyone has an opinion, which is good, and sets us apart from each other :)

#29 ·
I don't know. A lot of people don't understand dogs, or animals in general. They either anthropomorphize them or are like "it's just a fish, rat, dog, bird, etc" and don't really care about them.
My mom always told me and my sisters to not play roughly with our dog because if she even bit someone (like a neighbor, etc) by accident or wanting to play we might have to euthanize her. My 4 year old cousins were chasing her around once and screaming and just being annoying and she growled at them and everyone was so concerned about my cousins even though she didn't do anything to them. She just told them to back off.
People shouldn't get pets if they don't understand their mental, emotional, and physical needs, as well as their basic behavior.

#30 ·
Agreed!!

And I know that in USA ONE offense by a dog can = death or the dog needs to be out of that state by a certain time frame or else it is killed. It's pretty harsh!! Here in Canada (or at least Alberta) it is not as bad. Yes, a dog bites someone. But that person usually is apologized to, she might file a report or sue, and that's that. Only a small handful of people will ask for that dog to be killed - which are the ones I say "P--- Off!" because it's a dog. Some are rehabilitated, or in the course of rehabilitation. You cannot resocialize a dog WITHOUT SOCIALIZATION!!! lol.

The only time my dad's dog bit me, was when we were playing and she got too rough. Then I tell her "stop" and she releases automatically. She won't wrestle with anyone but three of us (all adults) which is good :) gotta know your doggie!! :)

Or how about this funny situation... A deemed dangerous Great Dane lived in or area. I offered to get my neighbor's dog (jack russel) back when he ran off. He was swimming in the icky man-made pond, and wouldn't come out. That great dane sauntered up (ooo scary), looked at the dog, at me, at the dog. Went in after the dog (kinda surprised me and made me a little scared) and end up herding the russel out of the water for me x.x Yeah. Scary doggy =D Rumors + experience + breed = scared people.

#31 ·
I have 3 cats. I am a cat person.. have had them all my life, and I've never owned one who was an outright mean cat. Take the 3 I have now. Miko is TINY, she purrs all the time and she's the kind of cat if you pick her up she gets floppy, goes limp; She never fights. My 3 year old niece can walk around with her without trouble.. she's 100% trusting of people.

My twins, Caine and Tyrael, are cuddle monsters, always want to be around people, love strangers and are just too lazy to hunt.

Yet if these cats are upset, mishandled or mistreated they will claw and bite. If I catch Miko in a really bad mood she'll bite at my hand. She's scared of lightening and thunder and most loud sounds and if you try to hold her during a storm you're going to get clawed. Caine, as sweet as he is, bites toes when he wants to be fed. It's a personality trait I haven't figured out how to curb, and they all just accidentally claw at times, jumping onto my lap or shoulders.

Anyone who owns cats knows they can't be trained like a dog can, they don't listen to a word you say and they can and do draw blood. But they're small, cute and mostly harmless, so no one's going to regulate them and most of the time, a cat attack isn't newsworthy. Same with small dogs. I've been snapped at by more chihuahua's then anything else, but the owners always brush it off "Oh he's in a bad mood" "Oh she's just playing" Yeah.. playing in the blood gushing from my thumb. But these dogs and cats are never held responsible for their actions, never put down for being vicious.

lizards, hamsters, mice, snakes, spiders... people keep pets that are just dangerous... -untrainable- and dangerous, because like it or not, they are animals. As much as we domesticate them, they're still, in some part, wild animals.

All dogs have the potential to be dangerous. With Pitbulls, they where bred to be hunters. They're bred from terriers and those are some vicious animals. but ANY dog has the potential to cause harm. Let's face it, it's like giving a butchers knife 4 legs and a mind of it's own.

Looking at all of this, I really do believe that the media and people in general sensationalize pitbull and "Pitbull-ish" dogs. I think there are far more people who have been bitten by non-pitbulls and haven't called up the local newspaper because "Teacup Poodle Snaps off Pinky" is just silly... but if it looks like a pit, it's a chance to make a splash. And a lot of these "Pitbulls" aren't even really pits. They're just identified as pits.

Here, try this, see if you get it right. And remember, this chart doesn't even have mixed breeds, just purebreeds. I've never owned a Pitbull before Sadie, and when I got her I tried this test and failed.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.