Betta Fish Forum banner

i don't know what's wrong

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BettaxFishxCrazy 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had my Betta fish for about 2 months now, and only recently has he started hiding under his plant at the bottom of the tank. He is in a 1 gallon circular tank and he eats twice a day. He will eat his food when i give it to him, but I've been noticing that he spits it back up soon after. He also has lost his coloring a lot and is becoming less vibrant than he used to be. What's wrong? What can I do to help him??

#2 · (Edited)
First, welcome to the forum!
Just a few more questions. How often do you clean his bowl and how much do you clean it? Is it heated? Is he showing any other physical signs of illness like bloating, frayed tail or fins, anything besides paleness? How many pellets does he get in a feeding? I'm not very familiar with illnesses personally but this will help anyone else who pops into the thread who knows about these things. :)

#3 ·
I clean his bowl completely once a week, it isn't heated, but he is right next to a lamp that heats the water, but I turn the light off at night. He also has been hiding his head down in the gravel. His fins are frayed, but I blew that off because I thought it was from the plastic plant in his bowl and from the columns he used to have in his bowl. I took all of those things out though. He gets 3-4 pellets a day, but since I noticed that he's spitting the pellets back up I haven't fed him any pellets yet today. He also is having a very hard time swimming to the surface to get his pellets, it's like he isn't motivated. I'm just super worried. His name is Percy Beau and he's definitely one of my best friends. I sing to him and talk to him quite a bit. I just love him a ton and want him to be well.

#4 ·
A 1G should be cleaned two to three times a week 100%. The water should be at 75-80 degrees. You might want to get a thermometer to closely check the temperature. It sounds like he has fin rot. It can start as a small rip and develop into fraying if left untreated. I would get him a 2G tank with a light in it if you could. Bettas should have at least 2G's. Do you use water conditioner? I would still keep feeding him even if he's spitting them back up, you can always scoop them out if he isn't eating them. Our fish are our best friends, and it hurts us when they're hurting. I just lost a betta that I had for a year and a half to dropsy which is usually fatal and it killed me to watch him try to swim to the surface. Also, does he look bloated at all? Is his stomach distended like he swallowed a small ball?

#5 ·
Hey, thanks for responding. I read about fin rot and it said that the fins were usually white at the tips, his are fully colored :-\. I cleaned his bowl just 10 minutes ago and while doing so I noticed that he has a white patch under his eyes moving toward his gills. I don't know if it was there before. I tried getting a picture, but had no luck. What treatment is there for fin rot though?
I do use water conditioner though and I fed him some of a pea while cleaning his bowl to help with constipation if that's what it is. He has always had a bulge on his left side, but I always just thought it was a birth deformity.
I'm really sorry to hear about your betta. What was his name? I'm hoping Percy will stay with me for at least a year though. Is there any cure for Dropsy?
Thanks for the reply. Hope we can figure out what's wrong with Percy, here's a picture of my baby... (the first picture is from when I first got him, and the second picture is from today after I changed his water) I know the pictures aren't great, sorry, it's cause I took them with my iPhone.

Attachments

#8 ·
It looks like it could be fin rot. I see some pretty bad stress stripes (the horizontal dark stripes). Salt baths will help with the fin rot. You use aquarium salt, not regular house salt. There's a thread in the betta care section on how to do salt baths. I would definitely get him a bigger tank. They have nice 5Gs for $40 and they have a filter with it. When you use the filter, you don't have to clean the tank as much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.