Betta Fish Forum banner

how do u separate your tank?

499 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pyro fiend 
#1 ·
how do u separate your tank? iv heard many ways glass window screening piece of metal but im interested in a way that i only need one heater. i wish to house 2 males in a 40g but idk how to separate it. plexiglass with holes?! [they dont make a 17"x18" like id need to section it that way] also heard using some kind of plastic grid?! idk what to do.

im wanting to get thease 2 out of these lil 1/2 and 1g tubs floating in my goldfish tank.. i think the goldfish are stressing one of the betta out. they recently got interested in him and he keeps flaring. not long intervals like 10-20seconds usaly cause the goldies are rly active and like to just swim in there 2 fish school [lol]now im wanting to put them in a 20g tub till the 40g is done cycling [i stopped it cause cant section it off with water in it] so itl take a lil... but i dont want them to be able to see ea other 100% and get ea other all p*ssed off.. so how can i go about that?

#2 ·
You shouldn't be keeping goldfish in the same water as bettas. Bettas are tropical, goldfish are not. Not to mention all of the waste goldfish produce on top of the ammonia. They need quite a lot of space too regardless of species.

If you're going to divide a tank for just bettas, I know Petsmart sells dividers for I think up to 40 gallon tanks. You could cut and adjust them to the size you need though. Those dividers are slightly cloudy plastic with small holes in them to allow water through them, and thus heat as well.

#3 · (Edited)
@pat: my goldies have a heater and tripple filtration just fyi but my boys are floating in this water[as said in the post so i didnt get ppl complaining about it] in with there own water tap pre-dechlorinated and replaced every day or two the water in all containers is 80deg. also i heard those things are verry bad at letting heat go thru making hot spots and mine only sell them for a 29/55g tank

edit: also my goldfish are realy small and only inside because the pond outside was hit with pipe bombs and i dont wana throw 2 tiny goldfish in a pond that has no filtration running nor cycled [its turned off atm sence no fish in it] and goldfish are known as coldwater because they usaly are found in them and can freeze solid and thaw back out..at high levels of heat they want to eat more thus causing more ammonia.. symple solution. dont feed them too much more and more frequent water changes.. both being done...

#5 ·
Sorry. Must've read wrong then.

I haven't experienced any issue with heating with my dividers. they're pretty easy to cut down to the right size you need too (The plastic supports can be cut with some scissors to thin it out, and then you just snap off the part you don't want).

The walkthrough for homemade dividers is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go though. The Petsmart dividers are a hassle with rolling back up and getting to fit just right.

#6 ·
thanks bastage.. i dont go to the sister site so never seen this.. or i woulda just done it w/o asking XD but no mines a 40 breeder meaning 36*18*17 :O

@pat: its kool no harm no fowl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.