Betta Fish Forum banner

I think this is a baby?

582 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  blufish425 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I posted pictures in the sick/emergency section because my friend gave me this betta and I thought she wasn't well because she doesn't have a dorsal fin. She is pretty small, and I'm starting to wonder if she's a baby. I've never had a baby before. Maybe you guys can tell me? She's very active, and I saw that babies grow dorsal fins last. So maybe it just hasn't grown yet! She's very pretty, purple and showing stripes. Any name suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
She may be a baby. Could you post a pic of her next to an object so I can compare? She/he could also have some sort of genetic defect. So much inbreeding in bettas that are sold at pet stores cause defects that affect different things.
I name rescues after their background stories, their personalities, or what they stand for now (hope freedom, liberty,etc.).
She/he is so pretty! I love the purple :-D

#8 ·
It looks to me like she has just a hint of fin rot around old wounds, but it's in an early stage. She should heal up quickly in clean, warm water.

I can see that she has fully grown pectoral fins, so I agree that she has never had a dorsal fin. The pectorals are the first to be damaged and never grow in babies, so since she has them, the issue was not water quality during early development and was likely a genetic mutation. Also, she's an adult. Once her stress stripe disappears and she colors up, she'll seem more like an adult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.