Betta Fish Forum banner

How do i do a water change

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
i know when and how much water to change and all that but how do i actually change out water

#12 ·
In a tank that size I would just use a turkey baster for normal cleanings. I also wouldn't do complete water changes. Maybe do like 75% 2 times a week, this way the fish can stay in the water and it causes less stress. This is what my fish have gotten use to so they don't mind my hand messing with their tank, but some fish would rather just be taken out. This is just what works for me... eventually you will develop your own process.

#11 ·
Get a temporary container to put the fish in. Pour some dechlorinated water in it. Put the fish in the container. You can catch him with either the cup he came in or a net. Then empty out all the water from your tank or bowl. Dump the rocks or gravel in a collander that you have bought specifically for this purpose.Rinse gravel or rocks good with hot water. Rinse decorations too, if you have some. Then rinse the bowl or tank good with hot water. You can wipe it out with a few paper towels also. Then rinse again. Put the gravel or rocks and decorations back into the tank or bowl. Pour dechlorinated water back into the tank or bowl. Then put the fish back in. Make sure the water isn't cold.

#17 ·
i do this in a 2 gallon

i take out half the water put it in a bucket in my case a pitchure of water and some of that water i put in my old 1/2 gallon tank and then empty out the old water and clean the tank / bowl NO SOAP then put half new watter and then declornoit it and put the the fish in it and thne the old water hope that helped

#23 ·
I have a 1.5 gallon and I don't do full water changes. I use a gravel cleaner to clean the gravel (obviously) and take out about 50% of the water. And I put my betta in a seperate cup (like the cup he came in, if you don't want to buy a new one). I just fill the cup with water from his tank and then put him in it using a net. That way I don't accidentally suck him up or anything. :p Then I add water to the top and put the conditioner (and I also use aquarium salt but it isn't neccessary).

#24 ·
I suggest removing the fish, and cleaning it out from there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.