Betta Fish Forum banner

Female flares

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JMeenen 
#1 ·
Do female Bettas flare?

#4 ·
well im giving u advice, it may be the kind of betta that was specaily breed to be bigger. i knew a guy who was selling huge female bettas. they may have just hit the american market. I'm sure thats just why. I dont think u need to worry, and if this contiues please put the fish in differnt tanks! What kind of divider is it? is it one with a net? cause they will break through it rust me. My friend had two bettas one female one male, they didn't really like eachother, and she had a net divider and they broke through it! i was there at the time. and i did like betas so i have two of my own now. ;) good luck with the flaring

#5 ·
I have a homemade plexiglass divider ..I drilled holes init...not quite as uniformly as the kind you can buy at petsmart, but this is a temporary tank.
As for Miss Betta, when I got these two (from a student as I mentioned in a previous post) They were in a plastic CUP...TOGETHER..the poor little guy was all torn up, hardly any fins left at all...he's doing quite well now. She beat the crap outta him! She is twice his size! and also I have never seen a really dark color female...she's a Big Bertha alright!

#7 ·
Yeah, there's a strain of bettas called "giant bettas" started by this guy in Thailand (I think) a few years back. I believe they're close to twice the size of normal ones. I haven't heard any controversy about the ethics of them, so I'm assuming the breeder just developed a larger strain and as opposed to using hormones.

#17 ·
what kind of betta

I was thinking a roundtail betta as well...they look like female bettas only with more color and bigger...a picture might help...or if you know a lfs that is reliable and knowlegeable; try bringing it in there. In any case, I would keep them separated; sounds like the best thing for both of them. I'm trying to find colored plexiglass to make dividers too, I don't like the net idea. Would a piece of stained glass work? It comes in some beautiful "water" patterns. Also can I put in a crystal ball...like a swarovski crytal? In other words, if it's "lead crystal" will that cause a problem?
Wow...that was a lot of questions...sorry, but thanks for any and all info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.