Betta Fish Forum banner

Are my bettas going to die? ='(

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 · (Edited)
Please help me with your knowledge of bettas and advice.

I have vieltail name Jhaybeebee and a crowntail name Sentou.

After taking them home and using the same water from the petstore for their new home (each in their own fish bowl of course), they seem to be happy - making bubbles, eating the given food, swimming around etc.

BUT...oh the big bad "but" :cry:...but after the first change of water, both of them stopped eating. My vieltail, Jhaybeebee, just stays on the bottom of his bowl and barely moves. He'd swim to the surface once in a while but he seems to struggle and would just sink back down. Also, there's a fuzzy white thing over his eyes.:-?

This was Jhaybeebee before the first water change. Notice his pretty fins nice and flared. My pretty Jhaybeebee!!:lol:....but now his fins are always tucked in because he doesn't move much anymore:cry:.

And something interesting(but still bad) is that it's the opposite for my crowntail, Sentou. He's now just floating! He struggles when he swims to the bottom and would just float back up! He doesn't eat and his color isn't vibrant anymore - he looks very pale now.:-(

This was Sentou before the first water change. Notice his big tummy because he would eat A LOT!! lol:lol:...but his big tummy is gone now since he doesn't eating anymore. Also notice his vibrant color in the picture? Now he almost looks completely gray:cry:.

My guess is that the bowl conditioner that I used is maybe expired? Does it expire? It came with one of the fish bowl that I got for Christmas last year. I bought a new bottle of bowl conditioner today and changed their water right away.

Any suggestions and advices? Please help me.I'm super worried and I don't want to loose any bettas anymore. I honestly cried when my first betta pet died (don't laugh lol). RIP JJ - my red vieltail.:cry:

JJ - REST IN PEACE

See less See more
#4 ·
How big are the bowls?
Do they have a heater or filter?

One thing I noticed was you used the store water. You shouldn't ever add the store's water to your tank, especially from bettas. This water is usually very contaminated from waste and CO2, and is different from the displays. Another thing I noticed that since they are bowls, they would have never underwent a cycle, and never will if it is small. Could we have an ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH reading (liquid test kit).

#5 ·
The bowls aren't big at all. I don't have a heater or a filter. Just bowls beside my bed on my both of my side tables. I was told that bettas can live without all those fancy aquarium tools.

I did use the store water but they were fine. It was AFTER changing it when they started being less active and anorexic.

#6 ·
Bettas need a heater. They need a constant temperature of 78-84F, and it cannot drop lower. They also need a reliable filter to keep parameters down, unless you want to do water changes daily.

They also need at least a 2.5G tank, each. They are both probably suffering from Ammonia poisoning right now.

#7 · (Edited)
Ammonia poisoning...That means it's too cold right?

I guess maybe if I lived in a warmer place it's okay to have a betta without a heater. Damn these pet stores selling these heater-less betta bowls! I'm not too worried about the bowl/tank size. I knew someone from another country(warmer place) who kept her betta alive in a small bowl like mine for about 8 months until her little niece killed it.

Plus it was a FEMALE betta that she had! The pet store lady told me female bettas aren't like male bettas who can live without a heater because they're more sensitive.

#9 ·
You could get a 5g or 10g and put a divider in it so you would only have to buy one filter and one heater, rather than 2 separate tanks. My first betta lived 3 1/2 years in a half gallon unheated, unfiltered bowl and never had health problems until the day he died.I keep my fish in an upstairs room that stays pretty warm. I don't like to be cold either!

#10 ·
Thanks for the tip! I'll probably invest in a nice big aquarium and put dividers along with other fishies that bettas are compatible with. I love other fishies too! But of course Siamese fighting fishies will always be my favorite8).

Anyway, can someone explain to me the white fuzzy thing over my Jhaybeebee's eyes? Also the discoloration of Sentou? Are those causes of ammonia poison?

#11 ·
from what i understand, color changes can occur from stress (they would be more pale), temperature changes (more vibrant when introduced to higher temp water), and exhaustion.

I have noticed all but the third in my own betta who paled after being introduced to a new tank, fearing the new environment. He also gained some blue tints in his tail and fins after having a heater put in raising the temp from 74 to 79.

Don't listen to all the people in the pet store world telling you all the ways a betta "can" survive. A human being could survive in a 1 room shack, with no central air and a cup to pee in, but that doesn't mean it would be a pleasant existence. I still argue every day with my girlfriend about what NEEDS to be done to ensure the health of our betta. She calls me obsessed and over worried when I say "we need to do a 30% water chance tomorrow". Heed all the advice you get here from senior members.

#14 ·
I would also give them a fasting day to help their stomachs return to normal size and stop compressing their swimbladders (if this is indeed the cause).

#15 ·
Swimbladder disorder is definitely a possibility for either (or both) fish. However, there could be other causes - the fish that is "sinking" could just be resting on the bottom due to lethargy. Bettas become lethargic when their water isn't warm enough. They also will become lethargic when they're being exposed to ammonia. The betta that "floats" could just be staying at the top in order to gasp for air, again due to poor water quality.

I agree though - 3 pellets 3 times a day is a bit much and could be causing problems, and allowing them to fast will certainly help things return to normal. Getting their water quality in tip-top shape should be your number one priority. Getting them larger homes with heaters and filters, as well as learning about the aquarium cycle and how to monitor water quality will prolong the lives of your fish and make them much, much happier.

The fuzziness over the eyes could be a fungal infection, likely brought on by poor water quality. There are anti-fungal medications available, but I would urge you to do what you can to improve water quality before using any sort of medication.

#16 ·
my guess is that the water u added during the first water change was too cold.
the betta in the second pic appears to have a case of bloat. hopefully not.

Betta's are such beautiful fish...somehow i always feel sorry for them

#17 ·
White spots could be Ick.. I dunno bout it being fuzzy.. are there any other white spots on the fish at all? (look close) My Betta is just getting over Ick, He is the sole survivor..

#18 ·
I'm guessing that the origional shock was from a rapid change in water parameters. Since they are in small bowls, I am guessing that you did a 100% water change. Your tap water probably has a different pH and hardness than the pet store's water. Couple that with the temperature difference and your fish probably went into shock. If his eye looks white and fuzzy, then it may be fungal. Once you get them more suitable homes and increase the water quality if it seems to be still getting worse you may have to medicate. I have had great luck with Jungle Labs products and they have one for fungus called Fungus Clear.

Are there any other symptoms? Any chance for a picture?

I am glad that you are going to get them a suitable home, they will love you for it! :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.