521 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76 - 82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, some live plants.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes and the little brown balls [wow why can't i remember what they're called?]
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 100% every 3 days or so

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner, sometimes freshwater salt

So far Brutus has been recovering from his jump out, he is very active, his fins are slowly growing back, he seems to have a little scar on his side, but he was ugly to begin with so this is fine. What I've just noticed is that his belly seems a little swollen and whiter than the rest of him [he's silverish/red/bluish/a dragonscale recovering from a jump so it's hard to tell] and sometimes he "stands on his head" for a second, and then straightens out and swims normal.

I was so excited when he started eating again, do you think I just fed him too much and his swim bladder is like wtf fatty? His fins are relaxed, I keep his water really clean and the temp as stable as possible, [my heater is kind of crummy.]

Should I just not feed him for a few days and let him poop it out? Should I just feed him the pellets? He seems to like both pellets and flakes equally and always eats like he is STARVING. When I give him pellets, I give him two or three a day, but sometimes with flakes in the morning. The flakes are so tiny and all different sizes so I couldn't tell you how much I'm give him, they usually spreads out to a 50 cent piece size and then he starts attacking them.

Oh also, should I always be adding freshwater salt to his water or only occasionally?

Any insights or advice is appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would fast him for a couple of days and then cut back on the amount of food...feed smaller amount 2-3 times a day...if he continues to swell or the fast doesn't help you may need to do an Epsom salt treatment

No, you don't want to use aquarium salt long term-it is great for short term treatments when used for the right reason, correct dosage and duration...

Keep us posted...

#4 ·
You are so fast! =] What would the epsom salt do that the aquarium salt wouldn't? Also when should salt be used? Only for treatment? Once a month just to keep things running smoothly? thanks for you response.

#5 ·
Epsom salt help with swelling/edema, constipation, swimbladder issues
Aquarium salt-wounds, injuries, external parasite
Both have antibacterial/fungal properties

Salts should only be used on an- as needed basis-short term controlled treatments for best effects....long term, over use, wrong dosages and duration can cause resistance issues and sometimes kidney/system shut down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.