Betta Fish Forum banner

Fin Rot? =[

924 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  BettaxFishxCrazy 
#1 ·
So, I had noticed Andrew's fins disappearing for a few days, and thought he was biting his tail. So I did a few 100% water changes and added some salt, and his tail seemed to be growing back just fine. Then, yesterday, I did a 50% water change, and thought he would be ok. After I finished changing his water, I turned his light on so I could see him and the tank and make sure it didn't look gross, and he was flaring at everything and anything. While he was flaring, I started freaking out because I noticed that his fins were not just fine. He has holes missing, and they're all frayed! They didn't look that bad before I did the water change, and as I was watching, it looked like there were chunks of his tail falling off of him! I'm so sad, and I want to fix it, but I don't really know my next step. =[ Today, his tail looks even worse. Here are the details that I know:
5 gal. minibow tank (not cycled, I don't know how to do that) with a filter and a heater kept at 80-82f, 4 silk plants, gravel, that's all the decorations.
I don't know the water specifics, but I will go get some water tested at the pet store and let you know after I do that.
I've had him for almost 2 months, and he's my only fish.
I just changed my filter yesterday when I changed the water.
My tank gets natural sunlight, but only partially, during the day from the window across the room.
I change my water once a week usually, but I've been changing it twice a week since his fins started falling off (before I noticed the holes missing).
I only just vaccuumed the gravel last night because I just got the gravel vac last night. Before that, I was doing it by hand, taking Andrew out and emptying the tank, cleaning off all the plants and gravel. Long process.
I feed hiim once a day, in the morning, 3 pellets. Once, my boyfriend fed him like 10-15 because I wasn't there to tell him no and he didn't know any better; that was before the fins started being funny.
I attached some pictures, I hope they are clear enough, and sorry if they are big I don't know how to change the size.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
well, here's the story IMO;
if he's a biter there isnt much you can do. biting is either stress or boredum! is he stressed? is he eating ok? is his breathing ok? or is bored? (like, lets say your away alot of they day)

the only thing you can do is keep the water extra clean and add some salt without being certain what it is.

what i would do if it was my fish;
add only some methalyn blue. this would treat bacterial fin rot.
if that didnt help and its continuing i would wait a few days without meds,
repeat the proceedure but treat fungal fin rot this time...

if that didnt help i would just add a lil salt and try see if he does bite (walk into the room on surprise and most bettas wont bite when your around)

#6 ·
So, I should keep him in the dark for now? For how long? I figured it was tail biting because it first happened when I left for 2 days. I came back and half his tail was missing. So I didn't go anywhere for a couple of weeks, and it started to grow back. Then I went out of town again (for 2 days, again), and it disappeared again! So I assumed he was bored and wanted more attention. I just got really panicky when I saw the holes and the chunks falling off. I went out and bought a teeny tank to put him in while I super deep clean his tank and maybe medicate him with Maracyn II if that would help, but I don't want to use the medicine or put him in a teeny tank if that won't do any good. =/ I feel like such a bad fish mom.

#7 ·
So I went and bought some tests for the water, but forgot the nitrates/nitrites one in my rush. But so far, it's got 0 ammonia, and it's really basic (pH 7.6). Should I lower the pH? If I do that, should I take him out of the tank first, and then lower it? The package for the pH Down says that he could have adverse effects to lowering more than .2 in 24 hours. I don't want to kill him in my ignorance (assuming I haven't already)!

#10 ·
Phew, thanks guys. At least someone else can help me, I appreciate your inputs! My boyfriend, for some reason, says he looks "fine" and can't understand why I'm freaking out. I don't understand how he doesn't see the torn edges of Andrew's fins!!
So, tail biting it is, then? Well, that's much better than fin rot, I'd say. Washable markers? I never would have thought of that! That's a great idea. I wanted to buy more decor for the tank, but my boyfriend said I was being silly because "he's just a fish." Ugh! I will have to teach him the proper way of thinking about these fishies. Thanks everyone, you have put my mind at ease! =]

#11 · (Edited)
Haha yeah, my boyfriend thinks that way too. He doesn't think of them as "real" pets like a dog or a cat. But I love my fish just as much as I love my dogs. :) I would get more plants if you can though, they love hiding and resting up against them. You could also get something for him to hide in like a cave or a pot. You can also use a coffee mug if you don't want to spend any money. Some people on here make their own caves and stuff, they like crafting. :)

Oh and do you use a filter? I saw that you said it wasn't cycled. Sometimes if the filter is too strong, it'll make the fish stressed out. They don't like being in heavy currents. So if it looks like he's being "blown" away, than it's too strong. You can put pantyhose or fit a sponge over it to calm it down. Also, I saw that you said that he gets natural sunlight, is the sun always on the tank? That could also make him stressed out. They need light/day time like we do. I have a tank by the window that gets sun on it all the time, so I bought a fish background that dims the light so he can sleep peacefully when the tank lights are off.

#12 ·
Oh, wow I didn't know that! (about the filter) I was just noticing the other day how sometimes when he swims in front of the filter, he looks like he's being pushed away. I was wondering if that was a good or bad thing, but I guess I was too wrapped up in the disappearing fins to ask? Oh, yes, there is a filter, to answer the question. lol I guess I will try wrapping some panty hose around it. I've read that it needs to be pantyhose that has not been washed with soap. Should I go out and buy some, and wash them really good in scalding hot water, or will it be ok if I just wash some that I have with really hot scalding water? I suppose it would be the same. I've been looking for those filter media bags to put over the filter, because I thought for a while that maybe his fins were getting caught in it, but I can't find any.
The sun is across the room, and there is not much direct sunlight to begin with (my room is at a funny angle; I get the light from the sun, but no real "rays" of sun. Does that make any sense?). I mean, it gets light in my room, but I still have to turn my light on if I want to read something. I don't know if that counts for direct sunlight. I just know that I read somewhere that you don't want to put the fish in direct sunlight bc it might stress him out or something to that effect.
My boyfriend is silly that way, I guess like any betta owner's significant other. But I was just showing him the other day how Andrew will let me "pet" him (he will let me touch him when I'm cleaning the tank. When I'm not cleaning it, however, not so much. lol). As for the cave, a mug would probably work great! I hadn't thought of that. I've been looking for a cave to put in the tank, but I'm afraid that the edges are too sharp. His fins have been torn up enough (apparently by his own silly self), I don't want to endanger him! So I guess a mug would be the perfect solution! I'm glad I'm on here, you guys have the best ideas. =]

p.s. Sorry I'm all over the place, my mind is a pretty busy atmosphere.

#13 ·
I don't use filters on any of my tanks so I don't know how the pantyhose thing works. I wouldn't use one that has been washed with soap though, I'd get a new pair. You can drape a towel around the tank side that gets sunlight. Even though you might not think it's that bright, it could be to him. The background that I got for my 2G was $3 so it isn't that expensive, but it's up to you. :) I've seen a couple people on here say that they "pet" their bettas but it's not good for them because you could be wiping off his slimy coat that keeps his body safe and needs. You could also get terracotta pots at Micheal's or any craft store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.