Betta Fish Forum banner

Hey Friends!!

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  B3TTA LUVA 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i am getting a Betta Fish very soon and i have sooo many questions like....

What type of food should i get?
Where is a nice place to get a happy and healthy Betta?
What are some good names??
How often does the water need to be changed??
How big should the Living area be im thingkin 1.5 gallon right??
What type of medicinces shoild i have on hand??
And I heard they sleep is that true??!! :rofl:
And many, many more....

:oops: I hope i didnt overload your brains with questions... and thanks in advance. I've never had an aquatic friend before and i really want him to be happy!! :eek:mg:

#2 ·
welcome! :3

What type of food should i get? Pellets are second best, with live foods being best. try to get a good pellet, like New Life Spectrum or Attisons. :3

Where is a nice place to get a happy and healthy Betta? a breeder. .___. nah, kidding. i've found lovely, healthy bettas at my local pet store. avoid walmart, since they have pretty, but unhappy bettas(my firm belief now.) check for things like active bettas, swimming bettas, no visible illnesses(white specks or fungus on them). if you pick the cup up, they should swim around, even if laying on the bottom before you pick them up.

What are some good names?? i'm an oddball with naming them. xD the name, should fit the betta. :3 i have names as odd as Cup, to as normal as Caroline, and everything in between(mostly Japanese! xD)

How often does the water need to be changed?? depends on the size of the tank. 1 to 2 gallons, every two to three days, 2 to 3 gallons, every three to four days. if cycled, i'm not 100% sure. x-X

How big should the Living area be im thingkin 1.5 gallon right?? 2 gallons and bigger is better, but 1.5 is okay. my walmart "rescue" is in a 1.5. :d

What type of medicinces shoild i have on hand?? i only have Ick meds, and parasite meds. i always have Aquarium salt on hand. i don't believe in meds, unless absolutely necessary. x_X

And I heard they sleep is that true??!! yes. xD i've caught them sleeping many times, and scare the mess outta them every time. >.> oops.

hope this helps!

#3 ·
Oh Thanks sooo much!!
It all helps a lot!! and yes ive heard about Wal*mart in fact ive seen it was so horrible!!

#5 ·
Yah i think im going to stick with pellets i dont find the idea of touching errr, worms to appealing. Can you feed them peas??

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum! It's great that you are doing your research before getting a fish; so many people jump into it without knowing how to properly care for their new pets.

A few more things to keep in mind:

Bettas require warm water (76-82) so a heater is essential; without it they will be lethargic and cold water will lead to immunity problems down the road. Sometimes it can be harder to find a heater that will properly heat a smaller tank, which is one reason 2 gallons and up is recommended. Also, the bigger the tank, the fewer the water changes!

It is very important that you condition his water with a conditioner that will remove chlorine and chloramines, which are very harmful to the fish. Prime is the brand generally recommended because you only need to use 2 drops per gallon, so a bottle will last quite a while!

Bettas also like variety in their food. They should definitely have a quality pellet as their staple, but it's nice to feed them occasional treats like frozen or freeze dried brine shrimp or bloodworms.

Bettas like a lot of plants (real or silk) and caves to hide in, but be careful what decorations you use; plastic plants and rough decorations can rip bettas' delicate fins, and bettas can get stuck in caves that have holes that are too small (if you can easily fit your thumb in and out of the hole, your fish should be fine).

Good luck!

#9 ·
Thanks Lola, ummmm and a question about the heater thing... can i possibly use a lamp because i have heard that heaters can get expensive any recommendations on the type i should get?? :neutral:

#12 ·
Lamps can heat unevenly, it's really hard to regulate the temperature without a heater, and bettas can be sensitive to temperature fluctuations. .

Adjustable/programmable heaters are really nice, but they are more expensive. The Hydor Mini Heater is decent for a 2-5 gallon, and is pretty cheap. It just raises the temperature by a few degrees, so if your room temp changes or is on the chilly side, this isn't a great option.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-Aquarium-Heater-Watts/dp/B0006JLPFE

I have a Tetra Whisper for 2-15 gallon tanks in my 2.5 minibow, and it keeps my water temperature at an even 78...the only problem is, if I need to raise the temperature to deal with illness/parasites, it won't get any higher than 78.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808

With any heater, make sure you have a thermometer (they're super cheap, like two or three dollars) so you know the heater is working properly.

#13 ·
heaters are expensive, but way worth it. :d

also, about the peas. i blanch them, by popping one in a bowl with enough water to fully cover the pea, and microwaving it for 10 seconds. :d then, chop it up into betta-bite-sized pieces and squishing it, so it moves a little. :d

#14 ·
cool!! Im trying to save my money till i get my fish so im looking for an evenly priced heater any ideas!!?? :eek:mg:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.