Betta Fish Forum banner

Fungus?

668 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
I'm thinking this maybe a result of the brown algae bloom in his tank.
But what does this look like to you?
It is white, appears to have little to no fuzz on it. Appear a coupla days ago and was only in the "crack" of his nose. It has gotten a tiny bit bigger.

I am trying my hardest to keep this algae at bay right now.

Water test results:
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 75
cholrine: 0
Alkalinity: between 180-300(color is closer to 180)
PH: between 7.8-8.4(color is closer to 7.8)

#3 ·
sry
pictures totally slipped my mind
Even tho i took them/emailed them to myself/saved them xD

This one is a lil blurry, camera focused on the plant in the back for some unknown reason o_O

This one is a bit better, but it is viewed from the side.

I cannot seem to get him to face me head on. And all the pictures from above are too bright to see anything.

#4 ·
Hmmm to me two things come to mind.... one is he smacked his nose on something, and that is slime coat/healing process for a small wound.

Or it might be fungal.

Considering I've dealt with both on the same spot with two different fishies...

What is the temperature of the water? Size of tank? And what water changes do you do?

#5 ·
water temp is between 80-83F
hes in a 5.5 gallon

i usually do a 30% weekly and 50% with vacuum monthly. Tho I've recently started twice weekly water changes while I'm scrubbing off the algae. That is usually a 20-30% change.

#6 ·
Any new plants, or second-hand ornaments? If it were fungal, I'm wondering from what. I've never had algae cause a problem, and my 20 was so over-loaded I couldn't find my fish, and that I had to get a Siamese algae eater x.x Where's your tank sitting? Maybe move it away from all windows, or center it in the room. Or, have it so the sun is only touching the tank in the early morning.

#7 ·
no new plants
the only "new" ornament is the gator skull/it was bought long before this popped up on him
it is next to a window, but the window over looks our front balcony and the only time it gets direct sunlight is around 6:30/it is no more than 30 mins of sunlight.

#8 ·
Hmm ok. I'm not sure it's fungal, I say watch it for a couple days - I will also mention though to have fungal meds on hand, and maybe maracyn 2 just in case.

#9 ·
Brown algae is usually caused by little light in a tank.
I have to agree with Sena on what it could be. :-D However, the fungus doesn't have to come from anywhere. Things like fungus and bacteria that cause fish illness is already found naturally in the water. Normally it's in small amounts that the slime coat protects against, but something could have weakened the slime coat to let the fungus set in.
If it looks like a crack it can very well be slime coat/tissue setting in.

If it starts spreading it's a fungus, if it stays in just that one spot it's most likely a cut that's healing. Take the time to recheck your tank decor.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Brown algae is usually caused by little light in a tank.
I have to agree with Sena on what it could be. :-D However, the fungus doesn't have to come from anywhere. Things like fungus and bacteria that cause fish illness is already found naturally in the water. Normally it's in small amounts that the slime coat protects against, but something could have weakened the slime coat to let the fungus set in.
If it looks like a crack it can very well be slime coat/tissue setting in.

If it starts spreading it's a fungus, if it stays in just that one spot it's most likely a cut that's healing. Take the time to recheck your tank decor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cannot be little light in my case. this tank gets atleast 10-12 hours of light everyday. sometimes even a bit more than that when my mind slips.
So it still dumb founds me as to how i got this bloom.

It might be a cut :p I've had females ram themselves into the rocks :roll: Not the brightest females I must say... that's how Madame got a cut on her nose, and looked similar to the pictures you posted. Slime coat will spread a little, which is why it can "get bigger" then eventually it disappears.
I wouldnt be surprised if he rammed his head into something. sometimes he gets a lil carried away with flaring.

#10 ·
It might be a cut :p I've had females ram themselves into the rocks :roll: Not the brightest females I must say... that's how Madame got a cut on her nose, and looked similar to the pictures you posted. Slime coat will spread a little, which is why it can "get bigger" then eventually it disappears.

#12 ·
xD Maine did that. He used to go along the bottom, parallel with the bottom, flaring :roll: he was strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.