Betta Fish Forum banner

Ugh D: Some help please?!

870 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  indjo 
#1 ·
Okay, so I had a nest full of eggs. Then next morning the male had destroyed the nest and eaten most of the eggs. T.T Why did he do this? :cry:

I have another set up ready for my second attempt with another pair. This time I want nothing to go wrong D:

My Spawning Tank:
  • I keep the water temp around 80 to 85.
  • 5 gallon tank
  • heater and filter
  • a plastic plant
  • and a guppy breeder tank for the female.

How long should it take for the male to make a bubble nest?

And before some one asks, Ive been planning on breeding bettas since last November. Last week was my FIRST attempt. So I did a LOT of research and reading :) I know what Im getting into :p

By the way, Im curous about breeding the "Thai" way? Has anyone tried it? :p

Thanks a lot :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Males can destroy nest and eat eggs for many reasons-usually it is due to bad or infertile eggs, inexperienced male and sometimes the male can feel threatened in some way (fingers, hands in the tank, flashlights, general disturbance in an around the tank) and eats the eggs so nothing else will eat them...this way he gets the protein for energy to spawn again.....and sometimes the male is just an egg eater...who know why........

Sometimes they will be successful with the next spawn and sometimes it may take a couple of attempts before success and sometimes you may never get a spawn from him....I give them 3 attempts and then they are culled or given away for pets.......with some I may harvest the eggs and artificial hatch them if he is an egg eater.....

I have spawned several different ways-but generally I like to use the natural method in a mature 5-10g soil substrate/sand cap natural planted tank- full to the top with water, temp at 80F, no filtration, lights off at night-conditioned with live food and both placed in the tank at the same time, I don't wait for a nest-he will make one once he has eggs in his mouth and limited water changes.......
The plants function as a natural divider to prevent premature egg drops, plants and snails help to create live food for the fry so I don't even add any food for the first week to 10 days and that is limited to once a day feedings and get good growth and development........I pretty much do it the opposite of what every book says you should do....with great success and limited to zero injury to either Betta in the process....I have even left the female in the tank long term with some to get multi spawns every 3 days...still with success and the female not eating the fry......I usually leave the male in the tank long term unless I need him for another spawn.......
I have found this method to work the best for me and since I have started a more natural method to spawn and rear fry...I don't have any disease issues that often can wipe out a spawn.....

Lots of different ways to spawn....you have to find what works best for you, your setup and breeders......

Good luck...hope to see some pic of the breeders and soon to be fry with your successful spawn and hear more about your plans.....

#5 ·
Your not going to get any CT from that cross. If your lucky after several generations of selective breeding you might get the yellow in a CT form but VT is dominant so all of your fry are going to be VT with varying degrees of web reduction, makes for a not so nice looking fish.

If your willing to do a lot of culling you might get what you want.

IMO you need a lot more plants in your tank, preferably live ones. You want the male to feel safe and secluded so tinted water, lots of plants, and even blacking out the tank entirely are going to help. Its also possible that the male is an egg eater and will do so no matter what. You won't know until you spawn him several times.

#8 ·
For beginners I'd suggest using a lot of hiding places for the female in case you have a vicious male. Once you have a better understanding of their behavior, then you can try other methods, incl. the thai way.

Lately I've been getting a lot of egg eaters - I'm not really sure why. Some, were simply inexperienced, some over protective, and some were just egg eaters. Try giving him a different environment and later a different breeding set up and get him to somehow accept your hand (if he hasn't). This will at least rule out the first 2 possibilities - it worked on some (not all) of my egg eaters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.