Betta Fish Forum banner

Gender help?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  gmd1800 
#1 ·
OK. I am going to be starting a sorority for my birthday. I already have two girls, Ocean and Drama Queen.
Last week I bought a new girl that would be added to the sorority. I haven't started the sorority yet, as I am getting the ten gallon tank for my birthday (on April 30th). I bought the girl so I could quarantine her, and ensure everything was OK with her.
I just put her beside my male's tank (I was planning on putting something between them, it just happened so fast LOL) When I did, they both started flaring - no big deal. But when she flared, she had a full blown beard. Is she a guy? When I bought "her" she had an ovidepositor, but I know juvie males can have them. In the last week I've had "her" she seems to have matured a lot. I think it is a halfmoon plakat if it is a male though.
Opinions are welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, I'd say that is a HMPK male.

#4 ·
Thanks guys! Its quite funny, because I never even considered him being a him. He had the ovidepositer and everything.. today its gone! LOL. I never even questioned the judgement, and today, it just hit me he was a guy.
He was a very femine male when I got him. LOL.
I feel special I have a halfmoon XD They never have them near my house, I'm pretty proud I found one! LOL

#5 ·
He's a male, but not a HMPK. He's a traditional PK.

#7 ·
Traditional PKs can have a 180* tail spread, but the edges are round like his, and their rays only split once, like his. A HMPK has multiple splits, like this...
View attachment 27316
So it's like a HM, just a short tail. And the one above isn't the best example of straight caudal edges, but he is a HMPK.

#8 ·
my opinion; HE is purty. whatchya guna call him?

#9 ·
I'm not sure what I am going to name him yet. :p
He reminds me of your Dastan Abby. Similar colors to me :p
Man, I don't feel special anymore LOL. No halfmoon for me XD

Thanks Learn to Fly, for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it. :D

#11 ·
You're welcome :)

Good luck with him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.