Betta Fish Forum banner

african dwarf frog?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  LasColinasCichlids 
#1 ·
So I've got a ten gallon, heated tank. I don't have a filter. I was considering perhaps a shirmp or something, but african dwarf frogs look really interesting. They seem to have pretty similar needs to the bettas, aside from food requirements-- I guess the poor little guys are sort of blind.

Does anyone have any experience with them? From what I'm reading online it seems like they ought to do well with my betta-- and I was hoping since a frog isn't quite a FISH, it would be a little less stressful on my buddy Calder. I know he's probably more than happy being the only guy in his ten gallons-- but I'd like another animal in there to care for-- preferably one that would interact with me some. I could divide and get another betta, I suppose. But I don't want Calder and the other guy all riled up all the time, you know?

#2 · (Edited)
I have all three living happily in a 10 gallon heated tank. (11 shrimp, 4 frogs and 2 Betta (divided).

The frogs do seem to prefer company of more frogs, I often find them hiding together under some java moss. They can squeeze between the divider so all 4 are usually on the same side at the same time although they switch sides almost daily.

You will need some things just for them though. The LOVE hiding under things that are really low to the bottom. They also like to hide in things floating on the surface which help with their breathing.

I haven't had any trouble feeding mine, I have a turkey baster on hand incase one doesn't get food but they seem to be fine hunting for it on their own. They can't see but sure can smell it. Mine will dig in the substrate for something that is burried. When they find something it is so cute how they eat it.

My frogs also fight with the shrimp over food. It's funny to watch. The shrimp scurry over to the food and the frog will jump and, bump the shrimp hard freaking it out and making it drop the food. Then the frog munches away.

Also if the others frogs notice one eating they will all come over and have a feeding frenzy in that spot so having more tends to make feeding a little easier in my experience.

#3 ·
Hm. I might have to consider getting two or three then. I do a weekly 100% water change, cupping my betta. I'd have to figure something out for them, too, I suppose.

About how much should I be looking to spend on a frog when I head to the store? And I've read they need a sort of varied diet-- any quotes on what I could expect to spend on food, and how long it'll last me?

#4 ·
I've not had much experience with that specific frog type, but you're probably looking at a diet that will cost about twenty dollars a month depending on how many frogs you get. I know I feed my toad crickets, meal worms and beetles, as well as the occasional spider (non poisonous and caught in my bedroom usually.) So I spend about twenty on her alone in a month, if not a little more. You'll also want to gut-load your feeder insects if you find that's the diet you want to go for. If you can feed them pellets than that is fine too, but I know that any frogs or toads I've had in the past have refused pellet and processed foods completely.

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
They won't cost $20 a month to feed. I buy frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp from my LFS at about $10 a pack. Each cube can easily last a week with my tank. Are they more expensive than a basic fish? yes. But not terribly expensive. These guys are too small to eat crickets and things that other frogs like.

You only feed the frogs a little every other day. Just one blood worm will make them look bloated. They really don't eat much.

Is your 10 gallon filtered? If it is you should only be doing 25% changes a week. Even if it isn't you really don't need to do 100% changes. It would make cupping the frogs redundant. Either way they can't swim too well so netting them is fairly easy.

#7 ·
Yeah, I was wrong. I'm used to my toad, which is much larger and feeds on decent sized insects. If you don't have a filter you should get one, it'll make things a bit easier on you when it comes down to cleaning and taking care of multiple animals in the same tank.

#8 ·
I think an African dwarf frog would be a great choice ... I kept one female frog (although I don't think gender has anything to do with temperment like it does some fish) with my female betta. It was the only thing my betta girl didn't bother. (Tried to chew on the snail ... would bite the goby's pec fins.) In fact she seemed to enjoy swimming under the frog during its "mad dash" for air. Sometimes of course she got bodyslammed in that crazed dive back to the bottom ;) Nothing serious of course, haha

Those are just my personal experiences though :) Sadly I lost my frog due to contaminated water that nearly got my betta too--something nasty came in on bagged gravel; shoulda rinsed it better :((( But I do agree with everyone that more than one would help; my frog was healthy but didn't seem too inclined to be active alone.

DinobotLoki ... I love your avatar picture. O.O I guess you hear that a lot though

#9 ·
Aww. Your poor frog! That's horrible... I've never had trouble with gravel but I'll be watching out from now on after hearing that. Also, thanks. ^^; *pets the Saints*

#10 ·
I would not do a 100% water change on an ADF's tank. Maybe 50%. A small internal filter is only like $10-15 and wont harm any of the fish, and would easily limit your water changes to an easy 20-30% weekly or bi-weekly if not monthly if the tank is established.

I have had my ADF, Bella, for over a year. My BFF has had her ADF for over a year as well. I kept mine solo for a while, but last month upgraded her tank and got her a fancy new 5 gal with internal filter and some friends. She enjoys the other fish, as most ADFs do. They do like to be in small groups (3-5 work best) but they are okay solo.

There is a food called Repto-Min you can feed them that is made for ADF's and other similar reptiles/amphibs. That is the primary food I feed my ADF. However, my ADF loves to steal the guppies' food which is simple Tetra Tropical Flakes for Clean Water. And boy oh boy does my ADF LOVE getting freeze-dried bloodworms for treats. The bloodworms dont give the ADF the nutrients it needs for a balanced diet, so use bloodworms as treats maybe once or twice a week. It is adviced to always rehydrate freeze-dried food before giving it to an ADF, which is super annoying, and considering that it soaks at the top before sinking to my ADF, I dont soak it and I dont have any issues.

You will need to make sure your tank has a lid on it, as they can and will jump.

They are usually full grown between one and three inches, this does not include their legs, just main body. For instance, my ADF is about an inch, my BFF's ADF is well over 2 inches.

Some ADFs will gladdly eat live fish and shrimp right out of your tank. I have seen them eat ghost shrimp, danios, neons, and love any kind of live fry.

Although it is fairly uncommon, there have been instances where ADF's will become territorial. Mine has shown territorial aggression before to the point of jumping on top of a young black ghost knife because it was too close to her cave! (The BGK was in there for a few hours only, had to rescue it from my evil Red Devil Cichlid and wait for my BFF to come get it.) And yet, my BFF's ADF has NO problem with the BGK she got from me.

Oh, and when I first had my ADF, she was housed with a Crowntail male Betta...there was no problems. However, not all Bettas are as friendly. The frog generally will not bother a Betta for any reason, but it isnt always the same for the Betta.

Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.