Betta Fish Forum banner

Black algae?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Ramla 
#1 ·
So I have this reoccurring issue of what appears to be black algae, it clings to basically all my decorations, but especially my plant decorations, one is a silk and the other is a live plant. I've given the whole thing a full clean and wiped everything, and have even reduced the time I keep the light on my aquarium. But it still keeps coming back

Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the growth or completely stop it? As far as I can tell it is not harming my beta, he seems entirely normal and active. So your guys' advice would be helpful.

I will upload some pictures later, as right now I do not have the time to take them and upload them, but wanted to see if any of you would have experience with a similar issue.

#2 ·
Just black algae, or black hair algae? Did you introduce any live plants? Or recently got your betta from the store? I found when I got a floating plant, black hair algae was wiggling it down and snagging my female's gills and fins.

Is the tank near a window? How often do you clean your tank? I found with my one betta (who had a filter, heater etc) if I forgot to clean his tank his would be the one with black algae, more than if I cleaned on time.

#3 ·
I believe it is just black algae, I don't see the long hairs for it to be the hair algae. And it is near a window, but does not get direct light from it, more like indirect light. It has been roughly 2 months now that I have had my fish and the plant was introduced to the tank before I got my fish. This algae has just started appearing within the past month, and only recently seemed to grow so fast.

I give my tank a 50% water change once a week and once a month I give the tank a good thorough cleaning.

And even when I clean the tank on time the algae is usually showing up before it has been a week.

And the photo links are below
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4

#5 ·
Nerites are great algae eaters.
I would recommend an amano shrimp, but your tank doesnt seem like it's stable enough to support a shrimp since they are such fussy things.

oh and flourish excel and hydrogen peroxide are things you can look into if the problem persists.

#6 ·
My tank is only 3 gallons, so I don't think a snail would be the greatest idea, since I don't wanna have to worry about the possibility of having a snail explosion XD Being at college that's not something I wanna have to deal with

I do have a filter, a small one but yes a filter. And I have been considering getting one or two shrimp to go in there to eat the algae, but was unsure if my tank could support them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.