Betta Fish Forum banner
4M views 13K replies 2K participants last post by  Smaragdina_is_best@12345 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm sure everyone would love to see the variety of betta tanks/bowls that we have, so post pics of yours here!:-D I have to find my camera, and then I'll get pics of my tanks :)

#12,369 ·
Just a little bit of a change to Lincolns 10 gallon. I made the little mesh house on the bottom and let his little tunnels float. Added the big red and green plant on the left for him which he seems to like. He's been swimming abound In that side quite a bit. I need more live plants but right now, I'm on a budget. I recently got engaged and have been working in planning. Blah. My little man will have to be happy with what he has for now. I may go buy some betta bulbs though.

Attachments

#12,374 ·
Gorgeous tank great job! Where did you get the little floating tunnels? So cute? My Crimson would love those because he is quite the acrobat lol

#12,371 ·
Thanks so much for the link!

What is the Rooibos Tea for? I mean, I know it puts Tannins in the water, but what are Tannins and do I need them?

We hope to get the plants tomorrow, however I don’t know which would be best for our conditions. The aquarium gets a very low amount of natural light, however it has a very bright white LED light. I have attached a picture of our actual aquarium (the other pic I uploaded was just from Google) We would prefer tiny, slower growing plants, as my siblings and I each want 1 or 2 plants for our own section.

We only have a gravel substrate, so I’m guessing we will need 'Root Tabs’ for some of them (it would be helpful to know which will need this if anyone can tell me :)).

I have found some plants that I think may be suitable; please tell me if they would work and if there are any other plants I could try to find, and which are the best beginners plants ;-). Also, I have no idea if there are different varieties/species of each, and which is best...

- riccia
- java moss
- java fern
- anubias
- anacharis
- duckweed (probably won’t use this as it is likely to clog up the filter)
- microsword (would like more info on this if possible please)
- hairgrass (would like more info on this if possible please)
- frog bit (would like more info on this if possible please)
- water lettuce (would like more info on this if possible please)
- marimo

OOPS! I actually wrote this post last night, but forgot to actually post it! Anyway, here it is now.

#12,372 ·
Thanks so much for the link!

What is the Rooibos Tea for? I mean, I know it puts Tannins in the water, but what are Tannins and do I need them?
Rooibos tea helps with pH in your tank... it also makes the water darker so its good as a stress reliver for your fish. The colour makes for a more natural environment.

You can use indian almond leaves too or banana leaves. I have some IAL but like the tea better. If you want to get the IAL or banana leaves in a store in WA then visit Aquotix. If you wanna grab the tea just visit Coles or Woolies.

Ill attach a photo with some of the things i find are essentials that i use on a frequent basis with my fish. If you wanna know about where to get anything that a lot of the members talk about on the forum... just let me know... i visit a lot of the pet stores/aquarium stores in WA lol just browsing for random items.

Otherwise you can order online.

Sorry I'm not that knowledgable about plants... i have silk plants cause my tanks are placed away from direct sunlight

Attachments

#12,373 ·
- riccia - IME they are quite demanding species, I wouldn't say that these are for beginners as they require proper lighting, CO2 management and fertilization to properly flourish
- java moss - Best for Beginners. Doesn't need CO2 or bright lighting or fertilization per se but if given, they grow faster.
- java fern - Best for Beginners. Doesn't need CO2 or bright lighting or fertilization per se but if given, they grow faster.
- anubias - Best for Beginners. Doesn't need CO2 or bright lighting or fertilization per se but if given, they grow faster.
- anacharis - Best for Beginners, but they are really easy to grow and are considered an invasive species, because with the right conditions, they can really take over the tank. I also find that they don't compete for nutrients when placed with other plants but they do help at keeping algae at bay.
- duckweed - (probably won’t use this as it is likely to clog up the filter) +1 on this. The name suits this plant real well...a weed... it happened to me a few times, so I just gave it to my neighbor who has a pond with some koi and it disappeared in no time.
- micro sword - same as riccia. never again lol
- hair grass - same as riccia and micro swords
- frog bit - same as duckweed
- water lettuce - also had these before and i realize they also another nutrient hogger, with other plants in your aquarium, without fertilization, your other plants will suffer
- marimo - Fairly easy to maintain, i used to have them at the office but they are kind of expensive here, I dont see why though. If cared for properly they tend to sink and if not they go brown and tend to float. Not in a rush to getting any of these again hehe.

I personally like Indian Almond Leaves and Banana Leaves in my tanks. They release their nutrients and tannins into the water naturally and after a week or two, the water starts to become clear again. I just let them disintegrate naturally as I have some MTS in my tank and I like the look of the leaves. Gives my tank a natural feel to it.

#12,375 ·
I love love that 3 divided tank! All the good stuff is in Australia!!! Beautiful tanks cutest decor. You are doing a great job picking out things for your betta. Lucky boys! And if you ever talk to an Aqua One dealer tell them we need them to sell it in Tennessee ;)

#12,377 ·
themamaj, the picture of the tank with the white background is not our actual tank, it is just off the internet :) Sorry if that was confusing!

FrostPixie, where did you get the Seachem Prime? Did you order it online, or what? It wasn’t in City Farmers, though they had about a million other bottles. I will have a look for the food next time we go to a Pet City. Does your food tub say “New Life Spectrum - Betta Formula”? Or is it “Ultra Formula”? I can’t quite see due to the glare on the tub in your photo...

Also, I see you have a specific betta water conditioner (the one in the blue bottle). I couldn’t find that exact one, although there are lots of other ones...

We are going to the Perth Aquarium Centre today (hopefully), to get some plants, and maybe the seachem prime. These are the plants we will try to find:
- java moss
- java fern
- anubias
- anacharis
- vallisneria (is this too big?)
- amazon frogbit
- crypt wendtii
- vesicularia
We will only choose a few from what we can find, if we can find any of them!

Is there anything else you suggest we look for at the Aquarium centre?

Thanks!

#12,378 · (Edited)
FrostPixie, where did you get the Seachem Prime? Did you order it online, or what? It wasn’t in City Farmers, though they had about a million other bottles. I will have a look for the food next time we go to a Pet City. Does your food tub say “New Life Spectrum - Betta Formula”? Or is it “Ultra Formula”? I can’t quite see due to the glare on the tub in your photo...

Also, I see you have a specific betta water conditioner (the one in the blue bottle). I couldn’t find that exact one, although there are lots of other ones...

We are going to the Perth Aquarium Centre today (hopefully), to get some plants, and maybe the seachem prime. These are the plants we will try to find:
- java moss
- java fern
- anubias
- anacharis
- vallisneria (is this too big?)
- amazon frogbit
- crypt wendtii
- vesicularia
We will only choose a few from what we can find, if we can find any of them!

Is there anything else you suggest we look for at the Aquarium centre?

Thanks!
Sorry I got this late! I got mine from Petbarn and I think it depends on which City Farmers you go to, but some of them have it. Though they do stock a lot of Seachem products.

My New Life Spectrum is the Betta Formula... i got it for about $15.99 from Pet City as I'm a member. I know for sure it's at the Bentley location.

The betta water conditioner I picked up in the betta section at Pet Barn Myaree.... if you look at City Farmers, quite often than not, they are out... no idea why *lol* though once you get Seachem Prime, you won't really need to use any other water conditioner as it works quite well to lock ammonia and make the water safe for your little guys.

to be honest... I quite frequently visit Petbarn, City Farmers, Pet City and almost any fish/pet/aquarium store I can find *lol* that in itself is part of the adventure of owning many betta's! Petbarn & City Farmers are actually owned by the same parent company, so pricing between the store is pretty much the same (most of the time - also they price match)

#12,382 ·
my update of my tanks!

#12,396 ·
I got him at Petco, lol. Here is a picture (of him and of his new digs - though I have since added two more silk plants. I hate those decorations, but he LOVES that barrel decoration, so I just decided to go with the theme and colors, lol. He is currently sleeping in the pirate ship :p):

Attachments