Betta Fish Forum banner

Crowntail Male

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  1fish2fish 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just went and purchased my first betta! I have a 29 gallon community tank, but wanted a small 5 gallon with a betta! I kinda of want shrimp for my bottom eventually. When is it safe to add the shrimp? I've seeded my tank with gravel from my community tank!

Thanks.

Oh I also have a heater and 10i Tetra whisper filter in the tank.

#2 ·
Once the tank is cycled. Fish are sensitive to water conditions.

#7 ·
I really don't know a whole lot about snails, but I know a lot of people don't like them because of how much they poop. But they are fine tankmates for bettas and aren't as sensitive to water parameters. Someone else who is more knowledgeable about snails could help you out more though!

#8 ·
If you put an apple snail in there you won't want to add much more...some shrimp could work but again I would wait till the tank has been cycled a few months and if at all possible planted.

Apple snails get HUGE and produce a lot of waste so they basically have the same requirements as a fish (aka needs 2.5 gallons). I would not add another snail or fish or frog to a 5 gallon that already has one betta and one apple snail.

#11 ·
Yes apple snails get quite big. Some times Mystery Snails can be confused with apple snails because they are in the same genus I believe but mysteries only get 2" in diameter where apple snails can get up to 6".. from what I've read.

If you want I can give you a few helpful links.. or you can just google apple snails and get the same ones yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.