Betta Fish Forum banner

Some advice for a split tank?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Fishybitty 
#1 ·
This is going to be my first split tank, and I'd like to know some of the essentials that I need to know when I actually get the tank. I'd appreciate any advice all you lovely people can give :D

What I have so far:
50w heater
Air pump for filter (may change this for a HOB filter, but I'd like to know a good brand)

What I plan to get:
Mesh divider
10gal tank kit
fluorescent lightbulb for hood

Aside from these things that I know I need, I'm kind of lost on where to go from there. I don't know good brands of filters, or what else is needed for the split tank aside from the mesh and filter and such

#2 ·
I think that is all that you will really need for your tank. Be sure to use some mesh that you know is fish safe..... I recently used fly screen as mesh dividers.... I had used it in the past without any troubles but this time I used different fly screen (still the rubber type stuff but stronger) and it poisoned all of my bettas. They almost died but luckily with a lot of TLC they eventually recovered. I learnt my lesson I will never use anything in a fish tank unless it is especially designed for fish.

#3 ·
Yeah, the mesh I'm looking at is made specifically for 10 gallon tanks, so I would hope that it would be safe. Would it be a good idea to give both boys plenty of hiding places too?

#4 ·
Hey there,

Yeah that mesh should be safe, it would be a good idea to have some hiding places for them so that they can 'get away' from the other betta and feel less threatened however that being said they do get used to seeing eachother and soon realize that they can't actually get to each other. I just have a silk plant in each division for my boys:)

#10 ·
Here's my split 10 gallon just to give you some ideas. Store bought divider from Petsmart, one 50 watt heater and an Elite mini filter on each side set to low. Lots of plants (fake) and a clay pot on one side, bridge on the other for them to chill out in. I also placed tall silk plants in front of the divider to provide them each some privacy from each other.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.