Betta Fish Forum banner

Sick Betta, No Normal Symptoms?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Elena 
#1 ·
I have had my Betta for about 2 months now. About two weeks ago he began to bloat. At first I thought it might be dropsy but he still hasn't developed the characteristic "pine cone" scales. He swims normally, his color is just as bright as the day I got him, he flares his fins and gills every night just like normal, has huge bubble nests, and he eats everything I give him quickly and completely. However, since he started to bloat I only feed him 1 or 2 pellets a day and don't feed him at least one day a week. He's in a 5 gallon filtered tank, it doesn't have a heater but I live in Florida and his tank is next to a south facing window so I think his water is warm enough. The only change is that within the last day and a half he seems to have cut his stomach on the very bottom. It's red with what looks like white fuzz on it, there was what looked like a piece of flesh hanging from his stomach which has since fallen off. I'm desperate for help I've read other sites with symptoms, but besides the bloated stomach nothing seems to fit. Help:cry:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
That does look like a tumor. I hope it isn't.

#6 ·
That reminds me VERY much of what happened to my guppies. I can even give you pics if you want although they are a little blurry. The same thing happened...they would bloat up and right before they died they would develop open sores on the stomach area. Turned out that they had internal parasites. I'm going to say the same thing that I just wrote to another person. Look at the feces to see if they are normal colored or white and stringy.

I don't think that's constipation because I'd think that by that point the severe amount of waste building up inside him would have killed him. Tumor could be a possibility but this looks too much like what happened to my guppies for me to think so.

I used Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite medicated food to cure my fish. I tried many meds before that and none worked so I was amazed when this one did because I had pretty much given up hope by then.

Here's the pic of one guppy: You can see how bloated he is and I circled the sore which is hard to see but you can see the red spot.

Text Font Screenshot Multimedia software Technology

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.