Betta Fish Forum banner

Need some advice. Female/Male in split tank.

945 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BettaBetty 
#1 ·
Hey all

Here is my problem. (Pictures included)

I have a split tank 10gal with my male and my female. Now I wasnt planing to breed them any time soon, I just needed her to stay in there for a short time while I set up her own digs. (I do however plan to breed them in the future, although I am not quite there yet on the reading and reasearching. I would love to know more on gentics and such first. And yes, they have somewhere to go.)

So here is what is happening. On the first day I brought her home I set her little cup house next to his tank, they flared at eachother and all that for a long while till I found her a slightly bigger arangment but it still was too tiny. -About a gal-

So then I changed all the water from his 10g and divided the tank in two. They seemed to not be to bothered by eachother and she started to show her fear/submission stripes through the divider.

That was yesterday. Today-tonight She is showing her Vertical stripes when they meet in the middle and now she is doing this curvy thing....(Bad pic sorry!)

and pressing on the sides of the tank and on her cave also at the screen whenever he is close. After which she darts away and just does it again. Its not effecting her swiming or anything like that, its obviously related to having the male there... but im hoping its not harming her.

Ive shut off all the lights in hopes she will relax and go to sleep. But because im a huge worry wort im on here instead of sleeping myself!
(NOTE: I've had the lights off for a good 10-15 mins and keeping my eye on her and she has stopped doing this as much. So its only when the light is on and she can SEE him there.

Can someone tell me why she is doing this... It looks like a one sided -embrace-. Will she release eggs if left alone? Should I put her somewhere else? And most importantly, will she die or be sick from being this close with the male and not spawning with him?

Thanks to whoever answers. I know -someone- is up at this hour. ;) -I hope!-

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like she is wanting to spawn and her eggs are starting to ripen...she will either release and eat them or not or absorb the eggs...its normal and should not cause any problems for her..it can stress some females and males more being kept in the same water but generally it is not a problem....

#4 ·
Her color doesn't suggest that she wants to breed (pictures). And your description -
"and pressing on the sides of the tank and on her cave also at the screen whenever he is close. After which she darts away and just does it again. Its not effecting her swiming or anything like that, its obviously related to having the male there... but im hoping its not harming her."

Sounds to me like she has some sort of problem - she sounds as if she is trying to rub something off from her body..... IDK, I need to see her do it.

#5 ·
@indjo-

It would seem that way, and yes in that pic you can't see the other stripes. She is very good at changing also its a terrible picture. I can see them in real life. Also she has nothing on her body (That I can see with my eyes of course) All other signs are normal. Swiming, flaring, eating. Water is fine. She isn't scraping, just barely touching the objects and sometimes nothing at all. She only does it when he is near the screen.

I'll try and get a better picture.

I will keep my eyes open for anything new though, just incase! Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.