Betta Fish Forum banner

Fish with White scales. Disease or Coloration?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  EmilyN 
#1 ·
I was at my local pet shop today looking over their Betta Fish selection when I noticed a male that looked like it had been snowed on. It was mostly white with small bits of red showing through (a stripe on the nose, around the eyes, and the belly). The fins looked fine to me. The thing that really threw me was that the white was dull. It didn't shimmer like scales normally do. I didnt buy the fish but I'm wondering if I should go back for him. If it is sick, is there something I can do to help him? Otherwise, I've found a very cool fish.

#2 ·
Hmm well it can either be a bad case of Ick or.. it can just be his coloring. Truthfully I would not know very well. I'm new to the whoe Betta Fish Owner thing. You can defently check for Disises and if it is going to be your first Betta fish defently buy Ick Gaurd and Aqua Salt and make sure the tank is more than at least 5 gallon. But to cure it if it is sick a 1 gallon is good to keep an eye on him whilke you cycle the new tank. Is alot. I'm sure someone better qualified will come and help you out better than me though.

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your reply.
From what I can tell, Ick affects the fins as well as the body of the fish. This fish's fins were clear while his body was more or less coated in white. Because of that, I don't think it could be Ick but I'm not certain.
I'm curious if treating the fish for Ick (just in case) would harm him if he doesn't actually have it?

The fish looked a lot like this. Is this Ick?

#5 ·
Your fish probably has thick metallic scales; he would be considered a "dragon" if he looked like the fish above. It's not an illness, it's just coloration.

#6 ·
Well see Lily helped out much more than me : ) It defently is the coloration than. Solet us know if you get him?

#7 ·
Thank you! I'm glad to know that he isn't sick. I haven't bought him but if he's still at the store tomorrow, I think I will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.