Betta Fish Forum banner

Confused...How to find right size of Fluorescent light bulb for tank?

825 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  kfryman 
#1 ·
I need to buy a new Fluoescent tube light for my 30 Gallon tank. It doesnt say anything on the tube for size so I measured it from cap to cap. It is 23 inches long. But I can not find any 23 inches long bulb in any of the petstores or online. The only ones I keep seeing that are close to that size are all 24 inch bulbs.

Am I measureing wrong? Do I need to include the metal prongs in the measurement at the end of the light tube? So confuzed :question:

#2 ·
Yeah you would include the prongs. With most light fixtures for aquariums if it is say 24 inches long, the lightbulb will be 22 inches, same with 20 inches the lightbulb would be 18 inches. So yes you would be using a 24 inch light bulb.

So you can measure the aquarium length and subtract by 2.

#4 ·
Your welcome!

Also when I didn't know what size bulb to get I found a top that fit the same tank I had, or found the tank I had, and just measured the bulb against the tank, it will just be a few inches shorter and that will be the right one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.