Betta Fish Forum banner

Inactive female, need help.

786 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  The Game 
#1 ·
Hey I bought 5 females for a sorority around 2 weeks ago. I already had one CT FM so i bought 4 extra. The fish shop got their females from a breeder and there were two obvious different batches. One was a bigger darker coloured batch and the other was a smaller lighter coloured batch with a lot of braching in the tail. I got one from the big batch (lets call this batch a) and i got 3 from the small batch (batch b for now). I picked the big one so that itll be easier to make her an alpha female. Anyways, batch b had one with a deformed head, i returned her and got another. Last week, one from batch b died, i say its from bad breeding as she was very inactive. Now im worried about another female from batch b. Whenever I feed them, she just swims underneath all the food, near the substrate while the others go to the surface and eat from there. She does come up for air but thats it. Shes not as active as the others. The other female from batch b (a beautiful white female) is fine and extremely active like the female from batch a and the CT FM. Im not worried about those 3. I just want to know what I should do about this batch b female that is very inactive and always resting out on the substrate. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Are your fish Crowntail Bettas? Sorry, it is probably a common abbreviation. I just joined earlier this month so I am still not familier with several abbreviations (learn a new one everyday).

Anyway, have you checked your water parameters? And have you checked for any signs of fungus? Green patches or white cottonony stuff on your betta (assuming it is a betta). Does your betta have mouthrot. I hate to ask but one of my swordtails caught it from a tetra I got at the pet store, and she was showing some of the same symtoms.

Hope this helps!

#3 ·
You should separate her from the others. It is a natural instinct among predatory aggressive fish to try to pick off the weak individuals in the group. It's just how nature works. She will be a target for their aggression as long as she is in the tank, so it would be better to put her in another container until she shows some improvement. Start with frequent water changes and giving her high quality high protein food like frozen or live bloodworms and/or blackworms for awhile. Perhaps the clean conditions, not having to compete with the other females, and the extra calories will help her bounce back.

#8 ·
generally speaking, it is always best to soak pellets before feeding, as they expand. Better they expand before they are eaten, else it can cause bloat. Some fish just find it more difficult than others to eat hard foods, and the fact that she trys to eat it then spits it out again makes me think soaking would help :) But im sure other people will have other ideas you can try

#10 ·
I just realised that her waste is hanging out of her and it looks like a white streamer with like a white round shaped thing in the middle of the streamer. I heard that this means that they have a stomach bug or soemthing. Is this true? And if so, what should I do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.