Betta Fish Forum banner

Please help diagnose my betta (pictures)

635 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Frostycat2012 
#1 ·
Sorry I posted this in the general forum at first because I didn't see this one. My betta has white patches on his head and I would like to know what it is and how to treat it please. Thanks in advanced.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta Plus Floating Mini Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once or Twice a Day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a Week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Not Tested
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.0
Hardness: 25
Alkalinity: 180

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White patches on his head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Occasionally scrapes against rocks, flares a lot.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, I bought him a week and a half ago.

Here are some pictures of the issues:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Your photos are not very clear. Does it look anything like this:
http://www.bettainfo.com/wp-content/uploads/betta-fish-ich.jpg

Scratching his head on things is usually a sign that he has ich, which is usually easy to treat. I'd recommend starting an AQ salt treatment, unless it is progressing really quickly.

#4 ·
Yes, AQ salt is usually a good safety net. 10 days max. 100% changes every day, 1tsp per gallon. You may want to take out your gravel and decor since it's a pain to have when you have to change the water daily. Just say if it starts getting worse and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will have an idea..
Are they growing quickly?

Also, I just noticed your water changes are really lacking. This is most likely why he got sick.
For an unfiltered 2.5 gallon, you should be doing 1 50% change and 1 100% change every week :)

#5 ·
Poor Betta I didn't realise that or I would have been changing his tank as you said. :oops: Well I will from now on until I can get a filter. And I will use the salt as you said. It doesn't seem to be spreading too quickly but I will say if it does. Thank you so much for your help. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.