Betta Fish Forum banner

Does Fern have a tumor? :(

791 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MattsBettas 
#1 ·
Fern came home in July, same time as i brought another girl home who's already passed.

She was fine her first few months here, then in September i noticed she started getting a little lump on her right side. Not huge, and even after quarantining in aq salt, it didn't go away. But she swam normally, was (IS STILL) active and nuts like all my other ladies, eats lots, nibbles on my fingers, and was a seemingly happy girl.

At first it was just her right side growing, so I was thinking tumor. Now she's pretty evenly round, and seems to still be getting bigger. What could this be?

Her tank mates when i noticed the little lump were just four other betta females. One of those passed away, and then there were only 3 other females for several weeks. Recently i put a couple of danios and a couple of swordtails into the tank as a temporary escape from some mating angelfish. I plan on rehoming those four fish, probably at a pet store, very soon.

I have lost two other betta females in that tank, from seemingly different causes. One died out of nowhere, seemed fine the day before and the next day just died, and the other one died from some very obvious dropsy. No other fish in the tank has shown signs of any illness or even stress.

See less See more
#2 ·
My first thought is dropsy, but then I don't think she would have lasted long enough to get that big with dropsy, so I would say I think youre on the right track with the tumor diagnosis :( not sure for certain though! Don't give up hope-lol I've never had a fish with a tumor so I may be completely wrong!

#4 ·
I would definetily be getting her in some epsoms salts.. pure and no additives as per the ingredients label. 1 tsp per gallon predissolved. May also need antibiotics..

What is the size of your tank? I'm assuming it's filtered? How long as it been running? How often/how much do you do a water change? I would definitely be checking ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

#5 ·
Like all of you, I immediately jumped to dropsy, but she would have died months ago if it was... My best guess is severe constipation, I once had a fish that looked like that with a little less swelling, it lasted for almost two months and lived fairly normally. To relive some of it, I put him in Epsom salts and antibiotics. I don't think a tumor would be that big and even, but if it is a tumor she will die soon, there's nothing you can do about it but make her comfortable. Hope he gets better :)

#6 ·
You should ask Sena. She had a betta with a tumor. I think it maybe a tumor but I'm not sure since it's on both sides.. Maybe Matt has the right idea.

#8 ·
now that i think about it i'm pretty sure she was in epsom salts for a few days when i first noticed the issue. but i'll put her in a 1 gallon with some, the only problem is that i dont have heat for 1 gallon tanks. and no antibiotics/money until thursday after Christmas.

i'll go ahead and test water soon. the tank is 10 gallons, filtered, not planted.

fin- i dont think so because she'd probably have gotten rid of those eggs already if so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.