Betta Fish Forum banner

Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

234K views 307 replies 203 participants last post by  NucleoWolf 
#1 · (Edited)
Since most filters require a filter baffle to work for bettas, I figured I'd show a step-by-step tutorial on how to build one from an ordinary water bottle. Make sure that the bottle is clean and contained only water prior to using. Rinse in HOT water, but never bleach or use soap that could be absorbed by the plastic.

Step 1: You will need a water bottle, as shown below, scissors, and a piece of tape. Pretty simple right ;-).

Sky Wood

Step2: Measure the approximate area of your filter outflow so you know how long the baffle will need to be cut.

Glass Plastic Transparent material Transparency

Step 3: Measure the amount of water bottle that you will need to cut. Note, do NOT use marker to mark your bottle unless you are certain to cut any marked areas off. I used sharpie just for the purpose of making it easy to see in pictures. A small slit in the plastic is the easiest way to mark the bottle.

Plastic bottle Bottle Water bottle

Step 4: Cut both ends off of the bottle so that you are left with the middle piece that you marked off.

Water Plastic bottle Product Water bottle Bottle

Metal

Step 5: Now you will need to cut the remaining ring lengthwise

Musical instrument

Finger Hand Thumb Transparent material

Step 6: Stretch one end of the curved plastic over the bottom lip of the outflow area, and tape the other end to the cover to keep it in place. Now when the water flows out it will hit the plastic and be redirected to the sides with much less force. Now plug your filter in and watch as you now have no surface current, but still have a filtered tank :).

Transparency Glass Transparent material Plastic

Finger Transparency Cable

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm glad it could help :)

#8 ·
it does work great. I have to find a good way to tape my seeing as the top of my filter is open and the water comes out. Right now it sits on there without tape but if I bump it or if the filter wobbles it comes right off.

#9 ·
Try this:
Poke two holes in the top
Tie fishing line to one hole
Add a small fishing weight to the line
Tie the other end
Hang the weight over the back of the filter
Be careful that the weight is placed so that it can't fall off the back of the filter and swing into the aquarium.
Like this:

#11 ·
What a fantastic idea! And EXCELLENT step-by-step guide you made, thank you for sharing! I've got a few questions about this for you:

(1) I know that bettas can be curious to a fault. Has anyone had a betta try to explore and get into the filter baffle?

(2) Do you find that the edges of the water bottle need to be smoothed out (too sharp?)

(3) I'm using an Eclipse tank - has anyone put this baffle on one? I'm wondering if it would fit around or possibly hinder a Bio-Wheel?

#18 ·
I used this for awhile when I had Alpha. He loved hiding behind the filter before I put this in his tank, then he became to most active little betta ever. I took it out once I got my sorority though. They are a little bit better at swimming than Alpha was.

It was a quick and cheap way to help my little Alpha become more active.

#26 ·
VERYY GOOD information, but unfortunatly it did not work for me since my fish is a bit TOO curious. -__-' He went inside the baffle and got pushed down by the current and swam out. Knowing my fish...he'd probably kill himself if I had kept it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.