Betta Fish Forum banner

DIVIDING TUTORIAL, step-by-step with pics

34K views 92 replies 49 participants last post by  SundanceCassidy 
#1 ·
Thought i might take my time, make a tutorial while making my own dividers and stick this up for anyone wanting to do it too but doesnt quite know how yet ;-)

NOTE; i decided to use my cycled big tank for males only and buy another smaller one for sorority... maybe 20g or 15g. ghost will be going into whats the sorority now. i want him to recover no matter what. he deserves a big tank.

EQUIPMENT;

• Kitchen paper
  • Scissors
  • Measuring tape
  • Masking tape (NOT selotape as it does not come off easy enough)
  • Aquarium sealant or aquarium silicone (must be adhesive)
  • Crafting mesh (also known as plastic canvas for cross-stiching)
  • It makes your life much easier if you choose mesh the size of your sections.
  • This avoids stiching parts together.
  • Report folder binders (for my 6 sections i needed 16)
  • Black duct tape (to cover front joining seams of binders, see pics)
  • Camera :) and of course your tank!

SAFETY TIPS;

• Make sure ALL your equipment and work surface is clean.
  • Ensure yourself that ALL the products you use are NON-TOXIC.
  • I recommend nothing else but aquarium sealant or aquarium silicone.
  • Have lots of kitchen paper at hand incase glue goes where it shouldnt.
  • Otherwise it can be removes later with a razor blade (for this, let it dry fully)
  • Do not handle food or chemicals during your work.
  • I recommend buying extra material incase something goes wrong!

PROCEEDURE;
1st of all, read throught all the safely tips...
I would also suggest ensuring that your tank and equipment is clean. The tank will need a good clean afterwards anyhow, but it makes your life easier if the equipment is clean :)

Then, measure the width of your tank. Do this by measing the inside of the glass. Inside edge of tank to opposite inside edge of tank. I subtracted 2mm from that to ensure a straight fit that will not creese the mesh.

Measure your mesh, and cut it to size. The mesh should go right to the top edge of the tank! When you leave a few inches of room on the top without water this will ensure your betta cannot jump over the mesh! The top of the mesh should NOT be flush with the water surface!!!!
I needed 5 mesh pieces. Cut the amount you need :)

Then, I cut the binders to size. Unfortunetly they were a few inches too chort so i had to piece them together. If this is the case make sure you stagger the joints. This means a long piece of binder bottom left and short piece above it AND then short piece bottom right and long piece on top. This will prevent the mesh from collapsing! See picture below!

Cut all sections. Then, re-measure them and make sure there are no mistakes. If it all fits, you can now measure and mark the distances between the sections. Make sure they are all even and straight! Measure the top and the bottom for this.
NOTE: when marking with the masking tape remember from which side of the masking tape you measure from!!! Masking tape is normally 2.5cm wide, which means you could be at least 2.5cm off if you get it wrong.

When it is all marked out, start which sticking on the binders with the aquarium sealant. Make sure the binders have an even strip of sealant on them and you push them firmly against the tank glass. Repeat this for ALL binders, front and back of tank.
NOTE: the binders should go nearly to the bottom of tank. Not more than 1cm of a gap and this gap MUST be generously(!) covered with gravel! If you have bottom feeders such as Cory's, take into consideration that they might dig deep into gravel below the mesh!

For the front, I used black duct tape to hide the sealant seems on the glass! This works great and makes it look neat and professional ;-) You can use colour btw! Be creative!

After all this is completed the sealant needs to fully dry out. Read the container or instructions for this. I'd leave at least 2 days pass! :) Then, you can clean up any mistakes. Scrape off excess sealant from glass with new blade, cut down binders should they have ended up sticking above the tank walls etc etc etc. Also, you can now give the tank another good clean to ensure there is no debrit in it from the process.

Now, give your mesh sections a wipe or wash down, and simply slide your pre-cut mesh into the binders. I added some extra little sealant dots along the binders and mesh back and front to ensure the mesh will never slip out of the binders! you never know! ;-X
NOTE: I also added binders at the top of the mesh dividers. 1) for extra support and 2) it looks very tidy too :)

DONE! Then, fill your tank with decor etc....
AND POST PICS! :-D
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial and that it was of help to some of you ;-)

DIFFICULTY:
1 easy
2 ok & do-able
3 tricky
4 hhmmm carpenter pls
5 impossible

#2 ·
WOW, that looks great and it was very helpful. I need to get my 10 gal going and divided for the boys.

#5 ·
^^^ thanks guys. glad ye enjoy it ;-)

Someone NEEDS to Sticky this!!!!!!!
I love the duct tape idea! It is SUCH a good idea!
was thinking the same thing! is it just my pc or have all stickies on the forum vanished btw?

ah i just stumbled over the duct tape :roll:
that stuff hold my car together hahaha

#10 ·
I also have an add-on now! :)
I always thought about how to solve the problem of one filter and a divided tank! here is my answer! :-D

i bought a normal internal filter, tall enough and suitable for the litres of the tank. I bought a fluval extra silent... works the treat AND has a very strong powerhead which i needed for my plan.

It came with a nozel for adjusting the flow and it has 2 holes which, again, was a great find.

Then, i cut small sections out of the top of the mesh to fit the hose. i secured everything with a dot of sealant to prevent anything from moving.

I got a piece of garden hose that reaches over all compartment, pushed it onto the plastic add-on piece of this filter. Then, i cut small holes into the hose above each section and added a stopper to regulate the flow at the end of the hose (for this, i stuck a smaller hose into the garden hose and clamped it with a jubilee clip until the flow was suitable)

The result was a perfect flow of clean water over all sections. Also, to my surprise, I get alot of bubbles from the hose. This helps with aeration and I dont need an airpump :)

#12 ·
thanks DH ;-) i did build a drip system before. this was much easier though lol.
after letting this run the night though its much too NOISY! the splish splash makes me have to want to pee the whole tome lol... slight adjusting needed :roll: ill post pics later

#13 ·
This tut is awesome! I'll definitely use it when I can get a bigger tank to divide.

BTW -- what is a drip system? o.o

#15 ·
BTW -- what is a drip system? o.o
its an array of tanks that are filtered and maintained by an external sump system that contains the filter material and heater. so no cables in tanks, just small hoses (one drainage and one uptake tubing) ;-) a drip system is also called barracks

Well, if/when I build a drip system, I'll be sure to ask you for help! ;-)
LOL!!!!!!!!!
My brother says coming in my room makes him have to pee. :lol:
do! i hope i can help you!
haha, well the constant dripping of water has that effect!!

#16 ·
i sorted the problem with the noise :) can recommend this to anyone doing what i did;

got thin hoses, cut em short to fit between garden hose and water surface (i left a few millimeters), cut lil round holes into garden hose and stuck thin hose in. sealed it with sealant. done! no more splashing!!! totally quite!

also, a picture of how a made a stopper for the end of hose for the last section!

#19 ·
it's given me an idea for when i change my tank
to cichlids later this year.
i have an internal filter that is rather powerful,and the hose idea
will fit perfectly for the extra water movement,
i actually can;t thank you enough for this idea.
:-D

#27 ·
still have to wash it all out. i took the tank apart... gonna get different gravel. dont like the black anymore.... too much like funeral...
ordered crafting mesh from the internet because i couldnt find any in shops lol. was cheap so dont mind waiting a lil while for it.
soaked the binders in water for days and they are perfect. no smell no discoloration etc so it was deffo the mesh i used before. :evil:

#29 ·
^^^ at my local grocers that also do staionary stuff.
should be the easiest to get really lol.

i can recommend school equipment stores, book shops and copy shops. anything to do with school, college or office supplies!
if you really cant find them i would suggest a member on here nearest to you sends you some :)

#35 ·
thanks folks ;-)

What is the model name/number of the filter you are using?
its a marina :) best filter ever. very quite, adjustable and reliable. ill try find out model. its one for 120liters i think.

What size mesh did you use with this? The regular 7-type one? How are your boys handling seeing each other through the mesh?
not sure tbh, bought it on the net, it was the only one i could get. they are doing fine. i need to be careful who i put beside who though! never put a passive guy beside an aggressive guy... maehk is beside his fav mate but still wont stop biting his tail :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.