Betta Fish Forum banner

Favorite online places to purchase from?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BittyB 
#1 ·
I have been to our LFS around town and most of them concentrate on saltwater and the freshwaters don't have the best of plant stock either. :cry:

I am limited to petsmart and petco plants as of this moment and I trust only their plants not in their aquariums but in those tubes. Now, I would love to get my hands on some moss to tie down into driftwood. Where online is reliable, good stock?

I know java is the easy go to but any others for a low tech tank?

And any special considerations on QT or acclimating from a purchase?

#2 ·
I have bought from three different places: aquariumplants.com, thatfishplace.com, and http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Beginner-Plants_c27.htm.

The plants from That Fish Place were okay, and the ones from aquariumplants.com were really not--I don't recommend them at all.

I absolutely loved the health and beauty of the plants I got from Planted Aquariums Central, though. And I've also been extremely happy with purchases I made from the classifieds of Tropical Fishkeeping and The Planted Tank, and those were much less expensive than any of the other options.

#3 ·
The cheapest is going to be from the classifieds on forums. You don't get raked over the coals with shipping. I have bought a bunch of plants from different sellers and they always arrive in good shape and shipping is like $7.
I just got about 20 plants off of Planted Tank Forum for $34 including shipping. Most of these were plants you can't even find at online retailers! They are doing great.

My LFS does have good stem plants...with plenty of snails.

#7 ·
I'm with Deanna: Never disappointed in Planted Aquarium Central. In addition, on the last page before you hit "Submit Payment" is a place for a coupon. Type in "bettafish" and you get 10% off your actual purchase (no shipping).

I also agree about forums. I recently received more than 50 Dwarf Sag from a Planted Tank member for $8.00.

#8 ·
i've gotten most of my plants from ebay at this point, and never had any big problems. just make sure you read the descriptions and reviews carefully, like with any ebay purchase! sometimes you can score free shipping too, it pays to look around a little. i've also gotten plants from plantedaquariumcentral, and they were great- nice healthy plants, and they sent extra.

re: special qt- i got a really annoying hydra infestation off of a plant from online once that somehow managed to survive my usual quarantine, so now i do a double dip on any plants i get, according to the advice of the all-knowing google. first, a 2 minute dip in a 1/5 hydrogen peroxide/water solution for general disinfecting purposes. bleach is more effective wrt bacteria but also a lot harder on plants, so i don't use it. second, a 3-hour soak in a solution of 3 tbsp alum/gallon of water. this kills off your snail eggs, bugs, and hopefully planarians and hydras. all this is probably a bit overkill, but i haven't lost any plants doing it and also haven't got any other hitchhikers so it seems to be working. :p if you don't mind hitchhikers, which for the most part won't really bother something as big as a betta too much- fry and baby shrimp are more at risk- i'd say just do a normal qt 2-3 weeks.

#9 ·
Thats some good advice mushumouse. I do know about dipping, but didnt think of doing a allum one for a few hours. I can probably go get some alum powder at the health store.

Maybe eventually if I get to be into tanks I wouldn't mind some surprise snails, but since I just have my one 3gallon up, I would like to plan for what's in it.

There was a crazy sale on my tank at the local WalMart so I kinda hoarded 4 extra 3 gallon Tetra cubes. I'll be putting one up with plants I buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.