Betta Fish Forum banner

Contest "to find the most original contest"

6K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  lovefordebbie 
#1 ·
LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
This contest is in no way sponsored by BettaFish.com or it's affiliates. I take full responsibility for said contest. Approval was granted by dramaqueen.

Background:
I'm out of ideas for an original contest and am asking for your help. To celebrate my daughter's first birthday coming up in May, I want to host another contest and wanted to spice things up a bit instead of the usual betta raffle.

Contest Rules:
I just need people to reply to this post with their "contest proposal". Give as much details as possible to what people need to do, how they would win, etc., etc. The more detail, the better.

Deadline for submissions is April 15, at midnight, Eastern Standard Time in the U.S.

I'll read all the entries and will choose the winner by April 20, 2013. That's it!

Prize:
The person who comes up with the winning contest will receive an electronic Amazon Gift Certificate in the amount of $50, which will be sent to your email address of record.

I will use the winning contest as a valid contest May 1, 2013. The person who came up with the idea will also be mentioned in that contest thread. Prize for that contest will be 1 AB Betta, with all expenses paid shipping to the winner's door (more details in that future thread).

So without further delay... GOOD LUCK and BRING THOSE CONTEST IDEAS ON!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Betta Birthday. Make a fishy cake, decorate the tank, and post pics of the whole party. Give the betta gifts to play with and fun stuff like that. That would be VERY fun. But make sure that the fish is NOT stressed, any fish that show signs of stress would be disqualified.

#5 ·
One entry per person. :)

#6 ·
The most colorful tank contest. I think we should have a contest to see who has the most colorful tank. Wackiest gravel, most colorful decorations, and other things you can think of

#7 ·
"DIY" - Betta Hacks
Spotlight the most creative home made betta "hacks" of using various items to help with betta keeping.
Example, the millions of uses of plastic canvas, ceramic decor, etc.

#8 ·
My idea is the theme: "The funniest thing my betta does/did."

The contest would choose the funniest story, picture or video of their betta fish doing or having done something very funny, starling, etc. The entries will be judged on both originality and humor. The selectors favorite will be the winner!

#10 ·
An aquascape inspired by something else. Entrants aquascape their tank (or somebody else's, as long as they did the scaping and design), and post a picture of what inspired them. For instance, someone may have been inspired by a Parisian street, so they post a photo of that street and a photo of the aquascape that resulted. It would not have to be an exact replica, but the colours or layout would reflect the overall feel of the scene that inspired them. :)

Entrants would be judged on three things: creativity, beauty and how true they were to what inspired them. (E.g. if someone was inspired by a volcano and did red and orange type things, that is more true to their inspiration than someone who posted a photo of a zen garden and did clown-puke gravel with a Spongebob hut. Likewise, someone inspired by Spongebob should not enter a zen garden photo).

The tank would not have to support a fish (for instance, it could be a 0.5 gal that they had just lying around) but it must hold water - after all, it's an aquascape! :)
Tanks could be any size and shape, and the scape could be temporary or permanent.
Photography skills would not be taken into account, but a clear photograph is essential.
The photograph of the inspiration does not have to be by the entrant - it can come from google images or anywhere else, as long as the source is acknowledged. :)

(Also, this is not my suggestion, but I really want to do a betta body-art comp, with eyeshadow, facepainting or tattoos! Not really practical, but fun! :p )

Congratulations on your daughter's birthday!

#11 ·
Thanks for all the entries so far! Just some recommendations that will better help me choose a winner. The more details the better. One goal of this exercise, if you may, is that I would not have to think of anything (baby's lack of sleep = my lack of sleep. LOL). Bombalurina's entry is more of what I am looking for, as it gives a lot of details.

To help aid you, just pretend that your entry post here is actually a contest thread of your own that you are starting in the Contest section. =)

Keep them coming guys!

#13 ·
How about a video submission?

Each contestant will enter a video they have filmed (or had someone help them film) that is of their fish - and tell a story.. such as a movie.

Can edit the video to add in effects, sounds, voices, cut scenes, etc.. but it has to have your fish as the main characters.

You can do an "Avengers" movie with your fish, get them moving around, looking silly, etc.. then can make your own voices or use the track of the movie and make the scenes.

I would say a 3-5 minute video would be good - not too long, nor too short. Can use original ideas or make a spin off of a favorite show/movie.

Imagine a "How I met your Mother" spin off of the fish meeting on the store shelves in cups, etc etc..

Only requirement would be that you have to have your fish in it being the main characters, you can be in it, but as a side kick or other smaller part.

Having editing done doesn't make it better - it's who makes you laugh/cry/smile the most.. so anyone who has access to a camera can do it. If you can't make a video (most digital cameras now have video options), you can make a snap shot video - pictures edited together.. think like a comic book.. with thought bubbles, etc.. but make it flashy enough that it can compete with a video.

Sorry if it's not described well.. I'm just getting over being sick, so my brain isn't functioning properly lol.

#14 · (Edited)
Betta Advertising

Photoshop your betta advertising a product. For example you could photoshop your betta holding a packet of betta food then come up with a catchy slogan.

Winner is the one who designs the best advert as decided by the judges.

Suggested categories to judge on:

Eye-catching

Creativity

Witty slogan

Best edited

Here's a very rough example

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
The contest would be Best Betta Theme. The idea winner would have a clear cut theme and a tank that clearly shows it.

I don't really know how to describe it, so I'll give an obvious example. An "Under the Sea" theme might have an oceanic background, maybe deep blue wallpaper or prints of dolphins, whales and other colorful fish. It would have beach looking sand and shells, as well as shiny rocks you might find in the ocean. The decorations would resemble something you might find under the ocean, such as a sunken ship or ancient ruins, and seaweed looking plants.

Basically, someone should be able to look at your tank and guess along what lines the theme is. Maybe the entrants would just post tanks and not say what theme it is, and the most clear cut theme would win. Or you could enter theme and tank, and whoever has the most original or the best decorated is the winner.

#18 · (Edited)
my contest would be called "grumpy betta"

entrants would have to post a picture of a betta that looks abnormally grumpy and caption it with a wierd or funny caption that goes with the picture. the betta does not have to be owned by them but if they find the betta on google then they have to give the owner credit. entrants would be able to enter one male and one female betta.one picture each. the bettas could be of any tail type and coloration just one of each gender maximum. the picture would have to be clear. the prettiness of the betta is not a big thing in this contest but the betta has to be healthy (any illness being treated for are ok). bettas can be SIP or alive it doesn't affect your standing in the contest.

the contest would be judged on originality and funniness. so basically if you had a betta that didn't look grumpy or had a bad caption you would have a lower change of winning than somebody with a hilarious caption and a really grumpy looking betta. (no bad words or crude humor allowed violating this rule will result in disqualication and possibly a referal)

#37 ·
The decision was a lot harder than I thought, with a seemingly two way tie that couldn't be broken... It all came down to my 5yr old tossing a coin... Without further delay....

CONGRATULATIONS TO: jessan2442 and his Grumpy Betta contest idea!

jessan: PM me your email address to send the Amazon Gift Certificate prize to.

Stay tuned all! The Grumpy Betta contest will open May 1st! Prize: All expenses paid AquaBid betta (60dollar max value of fish).

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO ENTERED!!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

#20 · (Edited)
The $1.00 and under Tank Celebration

How colorful and happy can you make your tank for your Betta with only decorations that are $1.00 and under?

Think of it as a birthday tank celebration!

-Maximum of $25.00 spent on the decorations. No one item can cost more than 1.00 a piece (before tax).
-Equivilent of US 1.00 per piece for foreign countries.
-Items must be safe for in tank use and a picture provided of your betta fish inside enjoying that tank.
-One entry per person.
-A detailed list of each item used and where you bought it, with the price (before tax) listed.
-Be creative, be original and be fun!

Awesome tanks don't have to cost a lot of money.

#21 ·
Wonderful ideas everyone! I'd reply more but just want to read and not comment until judging time. =) I have seen a few prospective favorites already!

#22 ·
The Recycled Tank Contest

Purchase and furnish a tank completely from used materials (ie. thrift store finds, hand me down tanks, etc.). The winner would need to provide pictures of the items before and after to show how much each item changed before it was placed into the tank.

#23 ·
I love that idea, Peachii! There's just one problem - here in Australia, our dollar is nearly on parity with the USA dollar, but because we get higher wages, everything is more expensive - e.g. a standard 5 gal new is about $90. So, even though our we'd get to spend maybe $1.10, we wouldn't be able to buy anything. :p

#26 ·
Bump! 12 more days to go until contest closes so there's still time to come up with an original contest!

#27 ·
The contest idea

How about making a birthday photo-card for your daughter?
Each contestant take a picture of their current tank with betta fish in it and make it as a birthday card using Photoshop. The card with great birthday wishes for your daughter would be plus.
And the winner would be chosen by vote (50% vote from your daughter- which card your daughter react the most and like it best and other 50% from judges);-)

What do you guys think?

#29 ·
Shameless bump!

Only 5 more days to go until contest ends!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.