Betta Fish Forum banner

Quick Question

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Krys 
#1 ·
So the betta I got two weeks ago FINALLY ate yesterday, and I discovered he only like flakes :roll:. So, since I'm not used to feeding my fish flakes, about how much should I feed him? And how often? I don't want to overfeed him on accident.

#2 ·
I feed mine 3 pellets in the morning and 3 at night. Every 12 hours(10:30)
Others feed theirs less. Usually around 5-6 a day. Some do 2 in the morning 2 in the afternoon and 2 at night. Depends on how much you think he can handle.

#3 ·
It may take a few feedings to really figure out the exact amount of flakes you want to give him. Watch him eat the first few times to see what he can finish in a minute or so.

I would probably start small and watch. You can always increase it if you think he's not getting enough.

#8 ·
When I feed flakes I give a tiny tiny pinch. And if they gobble them up I'll put a bit more in. You'll eventually learn how much he can eat. Sorry about my first reply, I read quickly and thought you were talking about pellets. oops, lol.

#9 ·
hello

Congrats on your new Betta fish! Anyway it depends on the size of your Betta. I have 2 (in separate tanks though) 1 is pretty big so i feed him around 6 or 7 a day (not all at once though) . The other 1 is small so i feed him about 4 or 5 a day. Sometimes u can skip a day and don't feed them at all. Its good for their digestive system. 1 more thing, remember that their stomachs are about the size of their eyeballs. Hope this helps :) Good luck with you Betta <3

#11 ·
That's like Amir, except he'll only eat pellets. I usually give him three every 4-5 hours. Horizon loves Freeze dried bloodworms, I usually give her two every 4-5 hours. Sometimes I'll give her pellets instead.

As for flakes, remember that they expand and absorb water quickly. Probably 3-4 'O' sized flakes (the size of the 'o' on your screen) will keep him happy. Also remember that a betta's stomach is as big as one of his eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.