Betta Fish Forum banner
1M views 8K replies 2K participants last post by  CalG 
#1 ·
I get the feeling that most of these photos will be bettas, but still...

Hannibal (among others) (RIP):

Frodo (also RIP):

See less See more
#6,831 ·
Omg... I went to the pet stores yesterday to look at the fish... *sigh* I wanted to save a little blue fish that I had my eye on for just over a month now... but I ended coming home with a different little guy! :oops: It was so hard to say no... cause the guy who got him ready for me wrote the wrong code and I bought him for $10! My lfs usually sells them for $36 - he was marked as a halfmoon (pretty sure he is).

Any ways... He's adorable and he's got a 15L tank all to himself... I finally have a marble (or am I wrong with the colouring?) I named him Monet.

#6,832 ·
Monet is STUNNING! Good deal too!
That just means you'll gave to go back and pick up the little blue boy! ;-)

#6,833 ·
Thanks DangerousAngel... yes... it does ;-) Though I need more power outlets in my house *lol* I've pretty much exhausted them all

#6,834 ·
FrostPixie - Two words: Divided Tank. Then you can get a 20 long and comfortably keep 4-5 betta with ONE heater\filter setup. :twisted:

#6,835 ·
I have a few already... hehe... though... I'm always open to having more. I do need to consider space though... if I fill my whole house up.. I won't have room to move :lol: (nor will my other half... and our power bills will be through the roof!)

I suppose the only answer is to move to a bigger house at some point ;-)

#6,838 ·
Ohh I see. I only have 3, and they are small, so it's not that bad. I really wish the plugs had more than 2 spots. :lol:

#6,839 ·
yea me too! the ones in aus have a switch that you can flick off at the power outlet if you're not using it... but they're being used.. to house a lovely power bar (with surge protector) though not really needed considering Perth doesn't get a lot of bad stormy weather unlike when I used to live in Toronto, ON

#6,840 ·
All of mine have surge protection. We don't get bad weather often but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

#6,844 ·
I love the name Sprite! Your boy's are stunning!!

#6,848 ·
He's a lovely fish, but you're going to hate me. Right behind where his stomach is, he had the very small start to a tumor growing there. He should be fine for quite some time though, but just know that eventually, that will grow. I can circle it for you if you like.

#6,854 ·
Some of my guys....

I love these fish! So many lovely colors, and all of them have distinct personalities. On the top row, the first 2 on the left are the same fish--1 with flash, and 1 w/out flash. The second two (on the right) are of the same fish, too. On the middle row, there is the deep red guy, and the deep blue guy. The one fellow on the middle right (2 photos of him) is marked very much like the one in the top 2 right hand pix. Both times, I thought I was bringing home an unusual, OOAK fish, only to find out I have something like the equivalent of twins! LOL!

The yellow one is a double tail, and the pinkish one is a dumbo. I didn't manage to get a good shot of those massive white fins in motion, I'm afraid. Beautiful guy, though! And does that "muddy" yellow/orange color on the yellow fish have a particular name?

#6,855 ·
Irish, do you mean the bottom middle left picture? He'd be a Yellow Grizzle. The blue spots on his body make him a Grizzle.

Reactions: ao
#6,857 ·
Yes, that's the one I mean. Thank you for identifying his color/markings. I didn't know such a thing as a "Yellow Grizzle" exists. His spots look black to me, but when I shone a bright light on him, I could see that at least some of those spots were faintly light blue....

#6,861 ·
I suppose I should show off some of my fish while I'm here lol

This is Rowan, she's one of my breeder girls

New MG HMPK female, no name yet

My poor boy Sam. I was trying to breed him with Rowan but she's too aggressive for him, took his fins right down. But he's growing them back fantastically!

New King, also no name yet

Velvet, Rowan's brother

Pierce, my DTPK

O, Velvet and Rowan's son

This is the fish my mom picked out that I care for. His name is Bowie for his "hair" that mom calls it lol, he just has massive crowns.

Alloy

#6,865 ·
Lil, you better watch your new King...He might be gone one day...;-) :lol:

#6,866 ·
Haha! Thanks all!

Yeah, I always seem to get Velvet in that pose. Sorry about the glass too, it would have been 10 times better if it were clean XD But yep, he's always snapping at me and making faces because I clearly don't feed him enough :roll: yeah right.

Dangerous: you'll have to answer to my mom for that one, it's technically her fish as well hahah. I just hope he'll do okay in my 45 with the community. I'm more worried about the other fish hurting him versus him hurting them. I'll wait in the little breeder box for about a week and a half more so he learns that I mean food ^_^

#6,867 ·
Hey guys! :)

I want to introduce you my first fish ever! His name is Jocó ([joʦoː]). I bought him two days ago at a local pet shop. The shop looked awful inside, the fish in there were dying, I wish I could buy all those fish to save their lives, but at least I was able to save this little guy! Okay, so he is my first fish but my parents used to have a huge aquarium back in my childhood. It was around 175 gallons (800 liters) and I really liked taking care of the fish inside. And a few weeks ago I decided to buy my own fish but unfortunately there is not enough place in my small flat. However, a betta seemed to be a good choice for me. Interesting is, in the pet shop his color was somewhere between turquoise and grey. I didn't expect such an intensive change in his color. It is like he was drowning in his tank in the pet shop or something like this. At first, when I put him in his new tank, he seemed to be lethargic, but after a while (6-8 hours) he became really active and started playing with the plant in his tank. I wasn't sure which plant to choose for him so I asked a seller in another pet shop (I wouldn't have been able to trust a seller in the shop where I bought Jocó because of the condition of fish and plants and other animals in there) and he told me to buy this plant. He really likes his new place and his own plant!

#6,868 ·
He's so cute! Congrats on your first Betta, and welcome to the forum! My first boy Dangerous changed color like that too.

#6,869 ·
What a pretty boy he is! I love his deep blue coloration.

Wanna hear about a BIG color change? A few months ago, I purchased a pure white betta with blue eyes and "see through" iridescent "cellophane" fins and tail.
Now, he's almost pure black (but still with blue eyes)! The back half of his body IS pure black with iridescent blue highlights, his front half is mostly mottled black, and his fins are a combination of "cellophane" and black, with white! He obviously has a marbling gene. I fully expect to him to continue darkening with time, but I hope his beautiful fins stay pretty much the way they are :). Still 'n' all, I want to someday find a pure white fish with blue eyes that will STAY that color! LOL!

#6,870 ·
Wow, that sounds pretty interesting and strange as well! :D But if I were you, I would consider myself as a really lucky person because, personally, I have been looking for a pure black betta for weeks but couldn't find any. Unfortunately, there are only a few pet shops in my vicinity and almost none of them sells bettas, which is completely unbelievable for me. I expected to see bettas in every pet shop I visit and so I thought there would be a wide variety of bettas to choose from, but instead there was only two shops with bettas. It was a big surprise for me that I found my betta in the darkest, dirtiest, and most disgusting pet shop (which actually was in the garage of a family house). I am sort of sad that I couldn't find a black betta (yet).