Betta Fish Forum banner

Questions aborting adding plants

515 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Zero186 
#1 ·
I'm new here. My son actually owns the betta, but we both take care of him. The betta's name is spirit.
I have a couple of questions on adding new plants to the tank. Spirit is in a 6 gallon tank. We just bought some java moss and moss ball for his tank, but the java moss has some tiny, tiny (we think) shrimp. The moss ball has little snails in it.
The questions are, how to clean both plants as we don't want to give Spirit anything that he could eat that would harm him, and do we keep them quarantined? If so, for how long?

The java moss were in their own tanks when we bought it, but we do not know where the store got their shipment from.
The moss ball was in a tank with some sort of tetra's.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

#3 ·
I dont know about the java moss but with the moss ball what I did with mine was soak it for a week in plain tap water and I changed the water each day and gave it a squeeze and rolled it around in my hand. I got mine from ebay and just added it a few days ago and so far so good its still green and I move it around to where it can get the most light from the window and over head light. Good luck with your plants I am getting some soon cant wait ! Oh and I think the tap water will kill the snails or thats what I was told anyway. Maybe you could just pick them off and put them outside not sure I have never dealt with snails before.

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for the advise on the moss ball. We have it in a plastic bowl with tap water right now. I think the little snail fell off in the bag and we did throw it plus the bit of water that was with it outside. Hopefully, there are no other critters or snails in it. I will change the water and squeeze it out daily.
I was surprised to see shrimp (we think) in the java moss. I am tempted to keep the big one and see it grow, but do want Spirit to have his most of the java moss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.