Betta Fish Forum banner

Plants: Live vs Silk?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  vaw103 
#1 ·
Hi there folks!

I've been having a heck of a time keeping my live plants from dying off on me. One rotted away and made a real mess of my tank. The other (not sure what it is) seems to be doing okay, though every so often I have to pick off a brown leaf.

My question though, is given the fact that I don't have much of a green thumb, would it be worth it to switch to silk plants so they don't bother my water levels? I imagine my fish would prefer the live to the silk, but would there be a good reason not to switch, especially if I forsee another plant death in the future?

Tanks!

#2 ·
I prefer to use fake plants over real ones. They look great and are soft. Plus as you stated it doesn't affect my water levels. It makes my 2 tanks easier to clean. At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and decide whats going to make your life easier.

#3 ·
I prefer plastic, provided its soft.

Plastic = cheaper and more easily available.

Silk = more expensive and less chance of fin damage on heavy finned males.

#7 ·
I think the live plants really help with my water - the live tanks are also much prettier, I think. However, I have found some unwelcome guests will try to come in with/on the plants, so make sure to quarantine them too!

I discovered tiny worms in one tank, and I think I got some bonus actual mystery snails, or at least their origin is a mystery. No idea what kind of snails they really are.

*tosses Coppersafe in Chicory's tank to nuke the last of the nematodes*

#8 ·
I have silk fern-like plants in Sparkle's tank. They look real nice + they are soft/flowing + no worries about fins being ripped + tank keeps clean (nothing dying in it) + Sparkle loves to rest/sleep in them. I believe silk is the best way to go especially if you don't have a 'green thumb' and/or don't have time to deal with live plants. NEVER use PLASTIC....toooooo rough on betta fins. Good Luck with your choice :)

#9 ·
Thanks so much guys! Sounds like I could go either way, then. I think I'll wait it out with these live ones and see if they make a comeback. (I would love to leave them in if I can). If not, however, I'll chock it up to being a better fish mom than plant mom, and swap to the silk. Thanks for easing my conscience on this one!

#11 ·
Mine are mostly silk but for my 20G, I am slowly switching over to live plants. I'm trying to stick with the ones that don't require those uber expensive light setups. I have a T8 fixture and that cost enough! I also don't want to do the co2 thing either. I also use the tetra water wonder plastic plants but I take the bottom thing off and just let them float at the top of the tank. They provide nice cover and I find some of the bettas will just rest in them

Maybe your plants died because they required more light then you had?

#13 ·
Have you ever tried those lily bulbs? I bought one. It didn't sprout, but I mailed it back to the company who sells them, and they mailed me back 5 huuuge, fresh, healthier looking bulbs. You don't have to worry about any tag-alongs with them, either. I'm gonna toss them into my tanks the new ones into my tanks today and see how they bloom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.