Betta Fish Forum banner

Neon Tetras

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Pogthefish 
#1 ·
Today my betta and my two other fish passed due to a fight last night and so im thinking of getting neon tetras how many can i fit in a three gallon tank?

#3 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
3 gallons isn't too big though.....thats probably why you had fighting issues with a betta and two other fish.

And +1
Neon tetras are a schooling species that need to be in groups of 5-6 or more and therefore should not be kept in anything less then 10 gallons.
With 3 gallons to work with, you're looking at just another betta or perhaps a shrimp tank.

#5 ·
I think it depends on where you get your neons....sometimes they do alright, other times they do just randomly die off for no reason. Sometimes they can also be a little nippy with bettas, even in a proper school....and other times a betta will go after them, even eat them if they'll fit in his/her mouth.
So neons are kind of a hit-or-miss on a couple different levels. xD

Cardinals are indeed a much more hardy and just as lovely alternative.....but not for a 3 gallon of course, just making that clear for the OP. xD Actually I do believe Cardinals get a little larger then neons though....probably would want a 15-20 gallon for a proper school of them long-term.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.