Betta Fish Forum banner

swim bladder

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Little-Fizz 
#1 ·
when the betta comes to surface to get his air, and sinks fast to the bottom every time, is this swim bladder malfunction. Can someone give me the proper med or process for cure.

#3 ·
here are my parameters

(parameters) ph. 6.8-7.0 amonia o nitrite o temp 78 scale hardness .00001 water quality clear and consistent.

feedings twice a day : 2 mini floating food pellets (hirarki) two and two and for a once a week treat. a small amount of brine shrimp after it as been soaked in 24hr standing h20, dafnia but not freez dried, fresh black worms, tubeaflex worms. again they are just a snack and very little is fed. there main diet is a quality pellet. and also some peas, skinned.

#4 ·
Sounds like swim bladder, and your feeding schedule sounds good. Unfortunately your fish may just be predisposed to it. There is no cure. When it is caused by overfeeding you can sometimes fast them for a couple days and it will go away for a while. It is never completely cured though. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :cry: .

#6 ·
drazen said:
I have given him some organic med i made from pressing and then distilling herbs, and fasting him along with praying and meditation and he is getting much better.
... You made your own meds? I'm not sure thats a hot idea unless you know whats safe and it will actually help your fish. I thought in your other post you said he was constipated? Just feed him a pea and see if he passes waste. It doesn't really sound like swim bladder to me, My aunts goldfish had a swim bladder disorder and trust you would know if he had it. This goldfish goes upside down and floats up to the tops where the current blows him around and he manages to swim down, upside down and then evens himself out and does it all over again. It sounds like maybe you have poor water quality and the fish doesn't feel good so he wants to rest on the bottom but still needs to breathe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.