Betta Fish Forum banner

Peas = Bad?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Purple 
#1 ·
Until I posted on here about feeding my bettas peas, I had never seen anything that even hinted that peas could be bad for bettas. It worked for my constipated female who pooped only about five minutes after I fed her half of a pea. (She hadn't gone in over a week!) I have yet to see a reason for it being bad. I know that bettas are carnivores, but so are cats and it's good for them to eat grass. :p What exactly do peas do that's bad? Is it just one of those things that is up for debate, like aquarium salt?

Note: The pea was canned, so it was soft. I can see why a frozen pea/uncooked pea could be bad.

Edit: Is it only bad when the fish isn't constipated?

#2 ·
No, the Pea just pushes out the other Foods. It stays in the Digestive Tract Long. It doesn't matter if the Pea is Soft at 1st. It's too Hard in the Insides. As for Aquarium Salt, It would damage Organs if used for more than 10 Days.

#3 ·
As a newer Betta fish keeper I must say the hardest thing about taking care of the fish is all the different ideas of what is right or wrong. I read it was good to have aquarium salt so I've been using it for several months now. So if it's true you shouldn't use it for more than 10 days or it damages their organs then that's probably why my fish is bloated and can't pass his food.

#4 ·
I think that there is so many opinions out there and so little science, therefore for debated topics you need to just make up your own mind.

And about the salt: the reason that it causes bloating is because it pulls moisture from the fish's body. If you use salt regularly, just use a small bit and make sure that your fish is getting enough moisture in his diet. That's not betta science, that's for any kind of living cells. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.