Betta Fish Forum banner

My Birthday Gift

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  CyerRyn 
#1 ·
So yesterday was my birthday and I didn't find out until last minute that my sons father's mother was getting me a fish as a gift. LUCKILY I just bought a new tank and do actually have the room for one small girl. They went to PetSmart but they were closed and I found out that because my son was so persistent on getting me a fish for my birthday they settled with Walmart. Now I have a little girl Betta that I have yet to name for only one reason: I have no clue what her true colors are. On the phone my son's father told me "She's got red and blue on her tails and black stripes on her body.." I was like "uh oh". She has no color on her body except the stress stripes. :( I walked 4 miles to his place and back to get her out of the tiny walmart poo water cup and into her new home with clean conditioned water and live plants to hide in. I'm waiting for her to relax and see what color she really is. She's a little bloated so I'm going to fast her for 2-3 days depending on how she looks. My last walmart fish has bloating problems.. gets fat easily so I'm hoping this isn't the same issue.

I also am really mad at their "Betta cup". The Walmart here.. has "Care Tips" marked on the cup and it reads as this: "Care Tips: Feed sparingly once a day. Change 1/3 of water once a week. Use room temperature bottled or dechlorinated Water". What horrible tips for Walmart shoppers looking for a fishy friend. :evil:

See less See more
#2 ·
I am super excited for my upcoming birthday! Well "up-coming" is at the end of this year... c:) All my relatives just give me money. So, YAY! I will probably go on a plant binge >.<

I can't wait to see pictures! I hope she lives. I hate it when they have just straight stress stripes. It makes my gut twist up... My boy enjoys doing that to me when I put him into his cup for water changes. Ah, silly boy!

#8 ·
My birthday is coming up on the 16th of this month and i already owe my mom all the money i get from family from spending 100+ on a new 10 gallon and 7 fish and rocks and plants and well you all understand.

Very pretty fish. sad they had to choose walmart but now she has a good home

#3 ·
Soooo she colored up finally right before I wen't to bed. I didn't want to scare her anymore than I had to last night so I just shut the light off and let her rest before taking pictures of her today. She is soooo beautiful!! The tank she's in is completely round and is horrible for taking pictures but I tried my best. The wittle tiny bubbles you get from new water I couldn't get off the glass so bear with me on the horrible quality of pictures. I'll try to get better pictures when she's more settled in. I'm still trying to come up with a name for her.

#5 ·
Me too! I might have to put her in a cup for photos.. that bowl is horrible for pictures! lol She seems very content in there though.. hiding in her plants.

#6 ·
Shes gorgeous!

Those tips aren't too bad, except the water change. We all know you can't feed fish a lot, some feed once a day. Room temp bottled water, or dechlorinated water? That's better advice than my pet store gave me haha But yes, water needs to be changed DAILY for what size tanks people would normally put them without knowledge. WalMarts never been known for anything other than money maker though *sigh*

#7 ·
Tried to get a better pose from her, but this is all I got.

I named her Dahlia

#10 ·
My pictures of her don't do her justice.. she's much more amazingly pretty! She's adjusting very well.. spooks easily though which I hope she'll get over from being with me long enough. She's still a little fat I might consider fasting her a couple days, I just fed her today to get her to start trusting me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.