Betta Fish Forum banner

HELP 1.5 gal too small?

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  bettafish15 
#1 ·
so yesterday I moved my new king betta from his temporary 1/2 gallon critter keeper to a 1.5 gallon critter keeper. he seems happy, he's ALOT more active than in his smaller temporary home. plus, he's not that big, I've seen much larger kings. I will be doing a 30% and a 100% water change each week, and testing water quality, so as long as the water is kept clean is it ok? or do I need to get a bigger tank? thanks for your help!

#5 ·
A 1.5 gallon is fine for a standard Betta. Since you're talking a King you MIGHT need to look at something a little bigger but that is further down the road as he grows.

You're really the best person to judge if he needs more space or not.

#7 ·
I think plakats and females appreciae more space as they don't have the long fins that hinder swimming. 1.5 gallons will be good for a half-moon but a king will like something bigger. My petco sells large critter keepers (looks like maybe 3 gal) for $10.

#9 ·
Kings need more space since they're bigger, but 1.5 gallons is fine for a regular betta as long as you do the regular water changes.

#10 ·
thanks guys! i'm not trying to argue, you guys know what your doing but he's pretty small for a king, he's about the same size as an average betta, except he has short fins and a big body instead of a small body and long fins... so do you think it's OK?

#11 ·
Keeping them in smaller tanks does mean that they won't grow, but that's because it's stunting their growth...I'd get a bigger tank if possible.

#13 ·
I agree with everyone else; It's okay for now as long as you keep with water changes but you're going to need a 5 gallon down the road. The walmart 5 gallon kit is perfect and reasonable. Just save up for it and get it when you can.

#14 ·
I agree with everyone else, a 1.5 gallon is ok for a temp. tank until u find bigger.
But def. get him a 5 when u can, I love and recommend the hawkeye from walmart.

#15 ·
would the Aqeon 2.5 gal be big enough? and if I get a filter, I'd prefer not to mess with cycling since I've never actually had a filtered tank, so if I just do 50% water change every week and a 100% water change every two weeks, is it even worth getting a filter or is it useless unless cycled?

#17 ·
I have two Aqueon 2.5's, and I just thought that Jet looked a bit cramped in there..and he's so much happier having the extra space a 5g can give him to dance around.

But the Aqueon 2.5's are excellent tanks in my opinion.

#18 ·
Once you are spending the money for a 2.5g, you might as well pay the extra $10 and get a 5g. What would you prefer, a tank that you have to clean 3x per week or a slightly lighter bank account and a roomy, 5g tank? Personally I think a 2.5g would be a bit of a waste of money in this situation, since it's not too much better than a 1.5g.

Also, filters are good to have whether the tank is cycled or not. They keep the water moving, evenly distributing oxygen and heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.